Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 wireless routers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dino0392

dino0392

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:37 PM

Hi

I got my wireless router changed over to a new one which is connected to my PC up stairs by an ethernet cable, the signal in the livingroom is very weak and the PS3 hardly ever gets a connection, is there a way to have the 2 routers plugged in at the same time? one connected to my PC by ethernet and the other one downstairs using the wifi for the PS3?

JJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:43 PM

it depends. how do you connect, cable modem, 56k, evdo? Is the source of the net upstairs or down? List all of the computers and things that need to go online and devices and whether they are upstairs or down.

#3 dino0392

dino0392
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:02 PM

they are broadband modems, from the master socket an RJ11 cable goes up the stairs into the modem and then an ethernet cable from the modem to the PC. there are 2 laptops and a ps3 that are down the stairs that connects wirelessly to that modem. so i was wanting to put the other one down stairs to boost the signal.

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:32 PM

I understand, the only way I have gotten this to work is if you set the router ip of the router you want to use to boost your range to within the range of the main router.

So if your upstairs router is 10.0.0.1 and assigns ip's 10.0.0.100 through 10.0.0.200 just give it an ip you remember that is in that range (10.0.0.150 or something).

Then you have to turn everything off in the access point router. Specifically dhcp, nat firewall, basically turn it into a wireless switch of sorts. The ssid can be anything and I am not sure if it will work with a password or not, you'll have to play with it.

It is doable but really tedious, good luck and keep me posted if you have problems. Do some google searches for bridging mode and using routers as access points. There is a lot of info on it but it is hard to get through all the techno jargon. (Very dry reading).

I hope it works for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users