Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick Defragmenter Trojan?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chiv

Chiv

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:47 PM

Hi, this is my first post - in desperation! I seem to have an infection. On starting up, Windows loads my desktop but then gives me a window labeled 'Quick Defragmenter' and saying my HD is fragmented and I should buy this tool. It won't allow me to terminate it, and it also won't let me start file manager or many other programs. When I open Control Panel, it no longer shows me the 'add and remove programs' option. The software creates a desktop icon and when I right click on it, it shows a path leading to my temp file, with an executable called 208031.exe.

I was able to start up in safe mode and ran MBAM - it showed no infections (I did a full scan). I physically deleted the above exe file from my temp folder but when I restarted in normal mode, the problem seems to still be there. The window that asks me to purchase no longer comes up, but in my try at the bottom right there's a red circle with a white 'X' in it. When I try to start any program, I get an error message saying 'Windows has detected a hard drive error.' HELP! PLEASE! Thanks! Peter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:06 PM

You are in luck. Try the following removal guide:

Remove Quick Defragmenter (Uninstall Guide)
Posted by Grinler on November 9, 2010
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-quick-defragmenter

Post the log here when completed with the guide, and let us know any problems you may have.

Edit: :welcome: to the BC forums.

Edited by AustrAlien, 09 November 2010 - 05:07 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 Chiv

Chiv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:27 PM

Thanks AustrAlien - actually, my company's tech support folks resolved it but I'll keep the link you suggested for future reference - should I ever need it (hopefully not!).

#4 Chiv

Chiv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:53 PM

Sorry one more thing - I tried to download rkill from the link you had sent me, just in case I need it in future. However, McAfee doesn't allow me to download the file and says it's a Trojan. Any suggestions? Thanks!

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:13 PM

Sorry one more thing - I tried to download rkill from the link you had sent me, just in case I need it in future. However, McAfee doesn't allow me to download the file and says it's a Trojan. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Glad your malware problem has been resolved.

I would not be concerned by McAfee's warning ...

As I understand it, rkill is being updated constantly to deal with new malware, and as such it is suggested that you don't keep an old version on your system, but download the latest version if/when you need it.

Edit: Have a look at the following link ...
RKill - What it does and What it Doesn't - A brief introduction to the program

Edited by AustrAlien, 15 November 2010 - 03:19 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users