Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win32/Patched Virus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Iain_M

Iain_M

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:45 AM

Hi

I had a similar virus warning from AVG today. It said explorer.exe and wininit.exe were infected with Win32/Patched. I tried to update my virus checker and remove them but it could touch them as they are system files.

While trying various things I rebooted. When the machine came back up there was just a blue screen after the login. Not the windows crash, just a blank desktop. No icons, no tool bars.

I tried rebooting in safe mode but the same thing happened. No icons, no start menu - I could not do anything. I tried going back to the last good configuration from the F8 menu, That didnt help. I tried going to 640x480, but that didnt help.

However I could press Ctrl Alt Del to get the welcome screen back up and I could start task manager. Looking at task manager neither the explorer.exe or wininit.exe were in the active processes list. I was able to get through to the help menu on task manager and from there updated my graphics drivers in case this was the issue as some forums suggested this. It didnt help.

I then went through the help to trigger a system restore. I went back 5 days but when rebooting the same thing happened.

The next time I rebooted to safe mode again and this time I had icons so I ran another full system scan on my virus checker.

After this I rebooted to normal windows mode and I had icons and a normal desktop.

I tried using Malware Bytes to find issues and it found and removed 2 things called Malware.Trace in users\public\documents\server called server.dat and admin.txt. It then rebooted but still pops up the warnings about explorer & wininit in the AVG resident shield.

Does anyone have any ideas what I need to do to get rid of this?

Thanks

Iain

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Iain_M

Iain_M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:48 AM

An additional note - in Safe mode the virus pop up warnings do not appear.

I've tried running Trench Micro systems sysclean as another site suggested this might work.

Lost almost all day on this now and I was really behind schedule before that.... :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users