Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a New Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 clotho20

clotho20

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:02 AM

I am looking for suggestions for the best way to protect my computer from virus ect. I currently have Kaspersky which I think is too expensive as there seems to be many comparable products out there, I just don't know what one to choose. Thanks for your time!!!!!!!

Edited by hamluis, 10 November 2010 - 02:00 PM.
Moved from Vista to AV, Firewall, etc. ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:54 AM

Why pay for an AV when there are several excellent Free AV's? I've NEVER paid for any AV except what I CHOOSE to donate. I recommend any of these FREE AV's, my personal preference is Avast!5:

Avast!5 Free: http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download
MSSE: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
Avira Antivir: http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

I can't recommend AVG at this time, although many may disagree. It's a matter of personal preference & opinion, IMHO. Obviously I DO NOT RECOMMEND NORTON by reading my sig line. :busy:

Edited by Union_Thug, 09 November 2010 - 08:57 AM.

#3 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:04 AM

Hi Clotho20

Union-Thug is right "It's a matter of personal preference & opinion"

Comodo has been doing a great job for me, the free version with firewall included, is also quite advanced.
I agree that Avast!5 is good and DO stay away from Norton :o
| A+ | Net+ | MCDST | MCITP |

"...if ever I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than any other talent..." (1642-1727, Isaac Newton)

#4 bradumd

bradumd

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:52 AM

As both before stated, Norton is terrible, don't use it.

My personal favorite is avast because it provides great protection and at the same time uses minimal resources compared to other computer hog programs.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:21 AM

avast! 5.0 is faster, uses less resources and updates more frequently than any other antivirus product. Its free version also scans HTTP traffic preventing any drive-by malware downloads :warrior: It is my personal favorite :thumbup2:

Edited by Romeo29, 09 November 2010 - 11:22 AM.

#6 matthew lugg

matthew lugg

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:54 AM

try using avast! free antivirus. http://avast.en.softonic.com/download#pathbar

#7 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:47 AM

I use Comodo free version and I have Norton (boooo!!!) on two of my machines. It's really not that bad. I do prefer 2010 over 2011. I think Symantec is drifting off course somewhat. It is no worse than any other and better than some. :chef:

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:44 PM

Choosing a security toolkit with anti-virus, firewall and anti-malware programs is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. Other factors to consider include effectiveness, user friendliness, ease of updating, ease of installation and removal. A particular combination that works well for one person may not work as well for another. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. You may need to experiment and find what is most suitable for your needs. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use paid for products or free alternatives. For more specific information to consider, please read Choosing Your Anti-virus Software.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense, safe computing and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:25 PM

Awesome write-up as usual, quietman! :graduate:

#10 clotho20

clotho20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:46 PM

Thank you for your suggestions and your time. As always bleepingcompter has come to the rescue!
and thanks for the appropriate the forum relocation!

:thumbup2:

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:47 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#12 matthew lugg

matthew lugg

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 02:34 AM

great.
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat.

#13 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:08 AM

great.
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat.

+1

#14 Sequim

Sequim

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:47 PM

I currently have Norton Internet Security (it came pre-installed on the computer when I bought it) but because of a ton of problems with Norton On-line Backup I want to part company with Norton and get something else. I tried clicking on Comodo (I think it was) and immediately something popped up and a little counter was spinning and when it stopped it said I had 167 Trojan horses in my computer and Quick! Quick! Click Here Before They Destroy You!!! I pulled the plug and restarted and have had no problems since, but now I'm pretty goosey about downloading anything. I'm just wondering, is this something that happens often? Can I go ahead and download Avast?

Another question, to Union_Thug: I see you are using Avast!, MPAM, MVPS, SpywareBlaster, AdBlockPlus, and Noscript. Are these all running at the same time? I thought that you couldn't run multiple anti-spywares because they would clash. I'm inexperienced in all this and would appreciate any advice.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:34 PM

...I'm just wondering, is this something that happens often? Can I go ahead and download Avast?

Depends on whether you are trying to download something from a reputable site or a third party hosting site that may be dubious or questionable. You need to be careful before you click on any links in advertisements or general searches. Its best practive to go directly to the vendors home site when downloading an anti-virus or security program. So yes, you can go to avast! and download their free anti-virus.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Before removing your existing anti-virus, you should download and save the setup file for the anti-virus you are going to replace it with. After doing that, disconnect from the Internet, uninstall your current anti-virus, reboot and then install the replacement. Reboot again to ensure it is working properly before reconnecting to the Internet.

I thought that you couldn't run multiple anti-spywares because they would clash. I'm inexperienced in all this and would appreciate any advice

As a general rule, using more than one anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, Spyware Terminator, etc. will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real-time protection and others as stand-alone scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. The overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware. However, competing tools may provide redundant alerts which can be annoying and/or confusing as a result of the overlap in protection.

If using multiple real-time resident shields (TeaTimer, Ad-Watch, MBAM Protection Module, Spyware Terminator Shields, etc.) together at the same time, there can be conflicts when each application tries to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. They may identify the activity of each other as suspicious and produce alerts. Further, your anti-virus may detect suspicious activity while these programs are scanning (reading) files, especially if it uses a heuristic scanning engine, regardless if they are running in real-time or on demand. The anti-virus may even detect as threats, any malware removed by these programs and placed into quarantined areas. This can lead to a repetitive cycle of endless alerts or false alarms that continually warn a threat has been found if the contents of the quarantine folder are not removed before beginning a new security scan.

Keep in mind that you can overkill a system with resource heavy security programs that will slow down performance. Sometimes you just have to experiment to get the right combination for your particular system as there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users