Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ThinkPad T41 with brain freeze

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Evil Llama

Evil Llama

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:18 PM

I was looking around at some of he good advice here on the forums, and decided to search for an issue I have with two identical laptops. I was not able to find this issue, though some posts did come close, so I thought I would throw it out there and see what everyone thinks.

I have had these ThinkPad T41 Pentium-M for about 3 years with XP, but over the last 12 months I have had this growing issue; the whole laptop, except the power button, stops responding. It doesn't just freeze, the picture jumps a few pixels over, goes fuzzy, then goes black all within a second. When the picture comes back, it is still fuzzy, but nothing responds, nor do the drives work. The only things that work are the cooling fan, indicator lights, the screen, and the power button. If I turn off the computer (holding power for 4+ seconds) and try to turn it on, the fan comes on and nothing happens. Both laptops are doing this now.

This started about 6 months before, but it was not so severe. When this started, it was a flicker but the computer would still work. Then it started doing the picture jump thing then I had a 50/50 chance of it still working. Finally it was doing the screen jump thing and just freezing.

At this time I noticed the time frame from start up to freeze was shortening. In the beginning, I was able to use the computer for hours before I had the issue. As things got worse, the longevity decreased. It is now at a point where I can get about 5 minutes from dead cold start to computer freezing.

One computer was used for work and was left on for extended periods of time (up to and exceeding 24 hours with about 10-14 hours of use followed by hibernation periods). The other laptop was used casually for home use and entertainment. It was used for 1-4 hours every or every other day.

The fans are free of obstructions, but the laptops used to get pretty hot. Heat does not seem to cause the freeze-up issue, as when they shut down now they are no more than slightly warm.

What do you think might be happening? What do you think is causing this issue? Any other information might help you?

TIA,
Myke

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bradumd

bradumd

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:50 AM

Hi! Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Let's get some more information about your computer first.

Publishing a screenshot with speccy

#3 Evil Llama

Evil Llama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:50 PM

Hi! Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Let's get some more information about your computer first.

Publishing a screenshot with speccy

This may be a little difficult. I think I may not have been quite explicit enough with this issue. If I start the computer cold, by the time I load XP, then open a browser window, my computer is frozen. I can take apart the laptop and list the physical part inside.

Honestly, I would not be surprised if this issue is dead in the water. I am going to dl speccy and try to run it from a thumb drive. If either computer will stay on long enough to run speccy then post, I will.

TIA
Mychel

#4 bradumd

bradumd

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:15 PM

Sorry I was under the impression that you did have access to the computer for a short period of time.

It appears to me to me to be a motherboard or video card failure. You mention that the computer at times would get very hot, so it's possible that over time the heat melted some essential components/connections on your mobo or fried your video card. It seems unlikely to me that you will be able to save the computers, but you could try brining them to a computer shop to get a better diagnostic, and perhaps even a replacement on the faulty parts.

I am not completely sure and I don't want to give you misleading information so perhaps someone else could provide some light on the issue.

Edited by bradumd, 09 November 2010 - 10:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users