Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware failing.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gamemaster406

gamemaster406

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:12 PM

Hello, I've been having issues with my computer recently. Ever since about 2 weeks ago, my computer wouldn't boot up, but only sometimes. My computer will start to boot correctly, but after I get to the "Loading Windows" screen, the screen goes completely black. The computer seems to be running, but its stuck at this black screen, unable to load the OS. When this problem started, I would just reset the computer and get the message "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." I would then boot into safe mode and just shut the computer down. After waiting a couple of hours, I would turn the computer back on and it would boot ok, and I could use it, but after restarting, or the computer going to sleep, it would freeze at a black screen again. That was with the OS Windows Vista: Home Premium 32 bit.

To fix the problem I thought I should purchase a better Hard Drive. I got a good hard drive from Western Digital for about 60 bucks, and installed Windows 7: Home Premium 64 Bit, on it since I had the disk lying around the house. All seemed well after the first boot into Windows 7, but after it fell asleep, my fears were confirmed and it froze. So, I've ruled out that it isn't my hard drive and it must be one of my hardware components failing. I noticed since that it can successfully boot into Safe Mode, it could be my graphics card because Safe Mode disables graphics card. So I tested it by disabling my Graphics Card through Device Manager, and I could actually get to my desktop, outside of Safe Mode. My graphics card is eVGA Nvidia Geforce 9800 GX2, and it came with my computer, and I made sure that is has the latest drivers. I think it might be my graphics card causing my computer to sometimes fail booting, but I am not entirely sure. I want to be sure before I invest more money into replacing expensive hardware. Also after looking at some computer help sites, they say that the symptoms my computer has could be the graphics card, but it could also be a faulty motherboard or CPU. Any ideas?

Any help will be greatly appreciated,
Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:37 AM

When this problem started, I would just reset the computer and get the message "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." I would then boot into safe mode and just shut the computer down

What was this change/upgrade that you had carried out, before the problem started?

Additionally, please check to see if the cables are firmly in place and if the removable components (HDD, GFX Card etc.) work with another computer.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:22 AM

You did not post the make or model of your computer or motherboard.

What I would suggest at this point, is checking the video card if it is an expansion type card, remove the video card from its slot, and re-seat the video card again making sure it is firmly and securely locked into place.

Your video card or the expansion slot contacts may be suffering from oxidation.
Doing this re-seating process will disturb this oxidation and things should return back to normal again.

If this is not the case, better advice could be offered if you please post the make and model number of your computer or motherboard.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 gamemaster406

gamemaster406
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:47 PM

When this problem started, I would just reset the computer and get the message "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." I would then boot into safe mode and just shut the computer down

What was this change/upgrade that you had carried out, before the problem started?

Additionally, please check to see if the cables are firmly in place and if the removable components (HDD, GFX Card etc.) work with another computer.

That is part of what I can't figure out. I never changed the hardware so I can't figure out what is causing that error. All my hardware is the same as when I purchased my computer.

You did not post the make or model of your computer or motherboard.

What I would suggest at this point, is checking the video card if it is an expansion type card, remove the video card from its slot, and re-seat the video card again making sure it is firmly and securely locked into place.

Your video card or the expansion slot contacts may be suffering from oxidation.
Doing this re-seating process will disturb this oxidation and things should return back to normal again.

If this is not the case, better advice could be offered if you please post the make and model number of your computer or motherboard.

Bruce.

My motherboard is eVGA NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI

Edited by gamemaster406, 10 November 2010 - 02:47 PM.

#5 gamemaster406

gamemaster406
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:35 PM

Can anyone else help me?

#6 Socratesx

Socratesx

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:42 AM

Look it is quite difficult to be sure about a component that causes troubles. You have to check part by part your computer so to locate the faulty item. It looks like that your graphics card starts failing but you cannot be sure unless you replace it with a spare one and check if everything runs normal.
My Blog for Computer Beginners : Buy a New Computer
My Rig:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P DQ6 | CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.4Ghz | Video Card: Sapphire ATI 4870x2 |
RAM: 2x2GB OCZ Reaper DDR2-1066 | Hard Drives: 4xSeagate 7200.12 2TB | OS: Win 7 x64 | PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850W

#7 90awdturbo

90awdturbo

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:37 PM

Yeah I would try to swap a working video card in there and see if that solves the problem. Sounds like yours may be on it's way out.
"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users