Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defrag Always Wanting To Run Lately

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 24 November 2005 - 11:03 PM

Why does defrag.exe keep wanting to run.

Iam useing no diskeeping software, nor is it set as a schedualed task.

Process Guard keeps findeing it trying to run.

XPhome Sp2 all patches up todate. AVG ; Sygate Pro. ; Ewido ; A2 ; Spybot S&D ; Adawre ; CWS ; Process Guard. all run regularly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 25 November 2005 - 04:31 PM

I wish to thank everyone for their suggestions.

It turns out it was windows doing routine house cleaning. optimizeing files when system was idle.

Actually I thought that lil task had been done away with after 98SE.

Since Proces Guard was installed and monitoring, it alerted on it. As it hadn't been run since I had locked the service. Normal behavior.

Now I did have this windows service disabled but recently did a restore and apparently those setings weren't saved and transfered.

Thanks to Gavin at wilderes security forum, he reminded me that TweakUI would disable this behavior. Located under the General tab all the way to the bottom of options. For general reference.

Once again thanks for your interest and help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users