Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ping and ipconfig don't work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Yellowmongoose

Yellowmongoose

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:52 PM

Hi!

I have a possibly stupid question but I'm confused. It's probably something simple but I'm having a mental block :wacko:. I have Vista Home Premium SP2 on my laptop and I can't seem to get Ping or ipconfig to work in the command prompt. I just get the "'ping' is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file" message when trying to ping google. 'Ipconfig' gives the same message. 'Dir' works though.

I'm just wondering if it's something I'm doing wrong (like I've probably forgotten something important) or do they only work with the professional versions of windows.

I'm only asking because I find it useful to 'play around' with things I do at work to help me learn.

Edited by Yellowmongoose, 08 November 2010 - 04:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:53 PM

How are you entering these commands?

#3 Yellowmongoose

Yellowmongoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:59 PM

well for ping I'm typing "ping google.co.uk" (without the quotes). For ipconfig I just type "ipconfig" or "ipconfig \all" and I've tried "/all" after ipconfig (can't remember which slash you are supposed to use).

I've typed them in Documents and Settings directory and the root directory but I get the same result both times.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:12 PM

Windows Vista doesn't have a DOcuments and Settings.

I have to ask you are you logged into an account with administrative rights?

#5 Yellowmongoose

Yellowmongoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:19 PM

Oh yeah, it's 'Users' in Vista sorry.

An no I'm using a standard user account at the moment. It's a bit safer than going on the internet as an administrator apparantely.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:22 PM

You have to use an account with elevated rights or by running command prompt as an administrator.

#7 Yellowmongoose

Yellowmongoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:25 PM

Yes, I just twigged that and tried it. Right clicked it and run cmd as administrator. They now work fine. See I told you I had forgotten something. I haven't done much technical stuff on vista, mostly been on xp.

Thanks for your help and patience! :thumbup2:

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:28 PM

ping and other network tools are disabled for non-administrative accounts in windows versions that are built around NT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users