Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software to monitor network activity outside of the pc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Surma

Surma

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:07 PM

Do you know of there is any (free) software that can be used to check network usage of different components in the network. I want to know what my xbox does when i play online.
Would this require some special hardware? I can check the logs on my router and see what it connects to what and when it did so, but i want to be able to see this in real-time.
---My computer---
Manufacturer:HP Pavilion 061 CPU:Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) RAM: 1024MB Motherboard:Asus PTGD1-LA Chipset:Intel Grantsdale i915P HDD:Main256GB Ext512GB Video:Radeon X600 Series Internet:DSL 2mb/s OS:Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Firefox+IExplorer AVG Internet Security

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BrianMill1999

BrianMill1999

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:34 AM

You just need a network sniffer tool. like wireshark. no hardware required.
i love this game.

#3 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:14 AM

im also interested to know this, if you find anyhting interesting please post it here
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#4 MichaelB51026

MichaelB51026

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:17 AM

A second thought. I know you must be home network and i don't think your router support span or port mirroring. so even install a sniffer on your pc, you won't see data on your xbox. I mean, hardware change needed. but if you are interested, i can say you need a hub, or switch with span. with them, you can sniffer data from your xbox, and even your entire net.

almost forget, you may diy a tap too: http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-Passive-Network-Tap/.
God helps those who help themselves.

#5 Vonnegut

Vonnegut

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:18 PM

You will want a hub for this so that you can sniff all of the traffic on the segment. I prefer the tool 'capsa' available at www.colasoft.com (its free)
Capsa has all sorts of features, and it can easily do what you are looking for.

You can avoid using a hub if you own a managed switch that will allow you to configure a span port/port mirroring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users