Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM Upgrade but wires in the way

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 actionprz

actionprz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:46 PM

I have an older HP computer. I've done RAM upgrades on several computers but this one when opening the side panel has so many wires that are in the way. I can't move them to access where I need to install the RAM. The book received with the computer (for upgrading) say's to remove the hard drive before upgrading. I prefer not to do that - Is it safe/easy to unplug things inside to gain access to where the RAM goes? Or should I take it to a computer person and have them take care of it for me. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:06 PM

Hi Actionprz.

It is very hard to judge what is complicated or simple with so little information on how much you know about it, and how much experience you have on the subject (even though you've made some upgrades before).
As far as I can read from your post, you might be better off taking the tower to a shop and get them to do it for you.
I'm assuming you already have the RAM sticks to upgrade the machine, so these guys shouldn't charge you much (if anything at all!).

I don't know how things work in the US, but a RAM upgrade when the customer has the RAM already would probably cost you about $15 or could even be free, like I have done so many times for so many customers over here.

It's up to you of course, but if you're not that comfortable with it, then it might be a good idea to exercise caution.

Good luck with it
| A+ | Net+ | MCDST | MCITP |

"...if ever I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than any other talent..." (1642-1727, Isaac Newton)

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:58 PM

Hi actionprz, and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

In order for us to help you with the installation of the RAM, please post the model of this HP computer.

It may seem to be a daunting task, but it you take it one step at a time it isn't so bad. It really isn't something that the average person can't accomplish.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:14 PM

TO add to DC's suggestion, would it also be possible to take pictures of your case with the side removed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users