Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem started as Browser Redirects, Now McAfee wont reinstall and scans in safe mode cause shutdown

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 r08117h

r08117h

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:52 PM

Hi,

I think my problems started about a week ago. I foolishly downloaded something from a crack site. After I ran it the file disappeared, and I started getting redirects in Firefox. I stopped using the computer for any logins or anything at that point, and started troubleshooting from my other laptop. I was using McAfee as provided by Cox as well as mbam, and Tea Timer , but found similar incidents online that suggested using AVG and Kalpersky, so I removed McAfee as part of the install of one of them and now they are both running on my computer. Everything APPEARS fine right now, except that I cannot get McAfee to reinstall. I have ran the McAfee removal tool as well as the intall prepare tool, but still, when I go to run McAfee setup, the circle-thing animates (I am using Vista) and then stops, nothing else happens with the install from there. I was going to try and run the install in Safe Mode, but the same thing happens in Safe Mode with the McAfee install, and I found that any scans (mbam, McAfee Stinger) run in safe mode will only get to a certain point and then the computer shuts off. Just- poof.... Oh! Also in my right hand lower toolbar of running programs, in Regular mode I see the Kalpersky "K" and the AVG Colored box thingy, but when I boot into safe mode neither of those appear and instead I see what looks like the McAfee red shield with an "X" on it. Floating over it yields "Windows Security Alerts" and tells to click on it for details. When I click on it I get an error message with "c:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe" on the title bar. The message itself says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Hopefully somebody can help me figure this out so I can reinstall Mcafee and I don't have to be afraid something bad is going on in the background!

Thank You!
Robin

Edited by Orange Blossom, 08 November 2010 - 02:49 PM.
Move to AII for initial assistance. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users