Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to Internet

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Shortey364

Shortey364

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:10 PM

Hi,

I have a HP dv1000 laptop computer running Windows XP Professional. I have all the latest service packs.

Yesterday, I could connect to the internet in the morning. But in the afternoon, I couldn't.

I've:
-rebooted my computer, modem, and router.
-checked the cables
-disabled, then enabled my local area connection
-tried to release and renew my ip address

The lights on my ethernet port used to blink, but they do not now. And my computer keeps telling me my network cable is unplugged when I have made sure it is properly seated in the port.

The internet connection and cables work on another computer. So I think there might be something wrong with mine.

I'm kind of unsure what to try next.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Any suggestions would be great. Thank you so much for all your help.

Cheers!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:25 PM

Is the modem between the machine and the router? Have you tried plugging directly into the router? What does the other machine that can connect plug into, or is it wireless?

#3 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:47 PM

Hi, newbie here, you might want to check System Properties and use the Device manager, see what it shows. Sometimes disabling, unistalling and reinstalling a device will help. As well installing the driver all over again.

Right click My Computer, select Properties, Hardware tab and then Device manager.

#4 superfoozer

superfoozer

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:08 PM

When you had internet connectivity, were you working wired or wireless? Does your laptop have a wireless card? If so, check to see if you can work wirelessly. Make sure that the wireless is shut OFF if trying to work wired, I have seen this cause problems.
It sounds like your nic is going/gone bad, but you have to try to connect in other ways if possible.
Try pinging 127.0.0.1 and see if you get replies.
If all other computers are working on the same set of hardware that yours is NOT working on, I would say it is def your laptop.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:35 PM

The lights on my ethernet port used to blink, but they do not now. And my computer keeps telling me my network cable is unplugged when I have made sure it is properly seated in the port.

If they do not blink, then you may have a damaged ethernet port.

#6 Shortey364

Shortey364
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:58 PM

Is the modem between the machine and the router? Have you tried plugging directly into the router? What does the other machine that can connect plug into, or is it wireless?

Sorry, I was confused. There is no router. Just a modem. It plugs into the modem like mine, but can connect to the internet.

Hi, newbie here, you might want to check System Properties and use the Device manager, see what it shows. Sometimes disabling, unistalling and reinstalling a device will help. As well installing the driver all over again.

Right click My Computer, select Properties, Hardware tab and then Device manager.

Quick question.

When I uninstall, am I uninstalling the driver? So when I go to reinstall it, do I need to download the driver again?

When you had internet connectivity, were you working wired or wireless? Does your laptop have a wireless card? If so, check to see if you can work wirelessly. Make sure that the wireless is shut OFF if trying to work wired, I have seen this cause problems.
It sounds like your nic is going/gone bad, but you have to try to connect in other ways if possible.
If all other computers are working on the same set of hardware that yours is NOT working on, I would say it is def your laptop.

When it was working, it was wired through the Ethernet cat5 cable. Yes, my laptop has wireless card. The wireless IS or IS NOT working. The wireless is shutoff when I tried to connect. But thatís interesting that having the wireless on could cause problems. What is a nic? I have tried pining 127.0.0.1 and it DOES or DOES NOT get replies.

If they do not blink, then you may have a damaged ethernet port.

How can I confirm that there is something wrong with the Ethernet port? Should I just replace the network card?

Sorry I haven't been able to respond promptly. Being disconnected is really inconvenient. But thank you all for the helpful suggestions. Please keep them coming.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 03:16 PM

You can replace the ethernet cable or you can get one of the following: D-Link DUB-E100 10/ 100Mbps USB Network Adapter 1 x RJ45 or something like it.

#8 Shortey364

Shortey364
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:08 PM

You can replace the ethernet cable or you can get one of the following: D-Link DUB-E100 10/ 100Mbps USB Network Adapter 1 x RJ45 or something like it.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Cheers!

#9 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:59 PM

just a quick suggestion. it will probably be in vein.
me and my wife had a similar type of problem and it turns out one of us accidentally hit a button on either the modem or the router, either putting it into 'standby' or shutting the router or modem off.
i would tell you more if i could, but my wife discovered the problem and did the troubleshooting while i was at work.

#10 Machinery

Machinery

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:21 AM

Try System Restore. See if it works.
Posted Image

#11 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:02 AM

Quick question.

When I uninstall, am I uninstalling the driver? So when I go to reinstall it, do I need to download the driver again?

This only works in a minority of cases where the drivers are goofed up.

Look up and write down the name and type of the network card in Device Manager.

Sorry I was as clear as mud, in the Device Manager right click the device to uninstall, in this case the netwrok card, right click and choose disable, right click and then click 'uninstall', the machine should then detect an unistaleld device, or you can ask it to 'scan for hardward changes' in the 'Actions' in the Device Manager menu bar if you have XP Pro, if you have XP home, then you have to go to Control Panel (category view)>Prineters and Other Hardware> Add hardware in the task pane on the upper left, or Control Panel (classic view)> Add Hardware.

This will the detect and install the drivers that are already on the computer.

Then if that does not resolve teh issue, you go out and download teh drivers from the network card manufacturer or from the drivers page of your computers's manufacturer. Run the driver install and see if the new driver helps.

From what you have said most likely not.

#12 Shortey364

Shortey364
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:18 PM

Hi,

Yes, my laptop has a wireless card. And it works fine. Here are the ping results. The first one is with the wireless connected and the ethernet cable not plugged in. And the second ping test is with the wireless off and disabled and the ethernet cable plugged in.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Shortey364>ping 127.0.0.1

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Shortey364>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

C:\Documents and Settings\Shortey364>ping 127.0.0.1

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

#13 Shortey364

Shortey364
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:20 PM

just a quick suggestion. it will probably be in vein.
me and my wife had a similar type of problem and it turns out one of us accidentally hit a button on either the modem or the router, either putting it into 'standby' or shutting the router or modem off.
i would tell you more if i could, but my wife discovered the problem and did the troubleshooting while i was at work.

Hi, I double check that I didn't turn off the modem.

Thank you.

#14 Shortey364

Shortey364
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:22 PM

Quick question.

Will the D link USB network adapter work with my 5 year old computer even though it wasn't designed to get internet through the USB port? I tried the Mac USB network adapter and that didn't work. But that could have been because they manufactured it to only work with Macs and not PCs. Not sure. But is that an indication that the D-link one won't work either?

Thank you.

#15 superfoozer

superfoozer

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:08 PM

Since you are getting replies from the loopback ping(127.0.0.1), everything internal should be ok. That doesn't mean your network card is ok, though. When it's plugged in to an ethernet cable, do lights blink? Lights blinking will tell you information is being passed through, or at least it's trying...
If your laptop has wireless, go down to a local coffee shop, or anywhere else, and see if you can connect to their free wireless. If you can't connect wirelessly and can't connect wired, either the network card has gone bad or it is shut off. On laptops with wireless cards, there is usually a HARD switch, on the side of the case of the laptop or somewhere around the keyboard area. The button or switch will have ((/\)) this or something similar on it. Like a little radio tower sending out a signal. If this is turned to off, you will not be able to connect.
Some laptops have a key combonation to press that turns this on and off. Network cards don't go bad really often IMO, usually is software or switch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users