Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Maybe I shouldn't have purchased this CPU?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 skymaster191

skymaster191

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:08 AM

Geez, I did a lot of research on PC build and compatibility and I am still learning a few things that I missed.

I purchased the AMD Athlon II X2 260 Regor 3.2GHz Socket AM3 65W dual-core desktop processor ADX260OCGMBOX

But then I was reading the Asus motherboard specs and it says 'AMD AM3 100 and 200 series CPU support up to DDR3 1066Mhz.'

Maybe I purchased this CPU prematurely. That motherboard can handle up to DDR3 1800 speed. But the processor can only handle the lowest speed in that motherboards range.

Is there much difference between 1800(O.C.) and 1066? Maybe I should exchange for another model.

Edited by skymaster191, 08 November 2010 - 09:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:45 AM

1066mhz is still very capable, what are you using the build for?

i read a review on newegg that someone got ram to 1333mhz, but i cant find where it says the CPUs RAM speeds availability
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:20 AM

I am going to use the build for:

home office software

Internet.

DVD movies.

light multi-media

The only games I will do is Microsoft combat flight simulators and Microprose Falcon 4.0 flight simulator. These are all from 1998-2000 era.

#4 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:57 AM

Well, what RAM are you going to be using, you havent mentioned the speed at which your RAM operates at yet.

1066mhz for flight sims on that dual core will be sufficient, seeing as thats probally the most taxing thing you listed for your system use.

The processor you bought is a budget CPU, but very capable. It has decent benchmarks for what it is, but its not for Extreme use such as heavy threaded apps and hardcore gaming. Office related projects will run very smooth an fast with the board/cpu combo and if u have 4gb of ram at 1066mhz you shouldnt run into any problems.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#5 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:02 PM

I haven't selected RAM yet. I have Windows XP Pro 32 bit which will only recognize 3-4GB of RAM . But I will probably get 2 sticks of DDR3 2GB RAM by Corsair, Crucial, or KIngston in case I upgrade.

The mother board I selected will take about 4 different speeds of RAM............1800,1600, 1333, and 1066

But it looks like I'm stuck with the 1066 unless I return the unopened CPU box for refund.

But like you say, might be sufficient for my needs

Edited by skymaster191, 08 November 2010 - 12:07 PM.

#6 maddmaxx

maddmaxx

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:31 PM

you shuold be fine with what you have, make sure after you put your system together, see if there are any bios updates, or any updates you can do on that board, sometimes it will allow you to use faster memory after you update...also i think you have one of the dual core proc. that you may be able to unlock more cores? possibly a triple core , or quad core?? i had a friend do it.

#7 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:33 AM

No, he wont be able to unlock more cores. You are confused. His CPU only has 2 cores, you cant create more. You can Over-Clock a CPU but you cant add more physical cores to it. There is a technology called hyperthreading, which take the number of threads a processor has(how many tasks it can do at once time, and doubles it.) Which is why you see the I-3,5,7 cores saying dual core, but 4 threads.. or quad core and 8 threads.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#8 acheleg

acheleg

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:05 PM

No, he wont be able to unlock more cores. You are confused. His CPU only has 2 cores, you cant create more. You can Over-Clock a CPU but you cant add more physical cores to it. There is a technology called hyperthreading, which take the number of threads a processor has(how many tasks it can do at once time, and doubles it.) Which is why you see the I-3,5,7 cores saying dual core, but 4 threads.. or quad core and 8 threads.

i beg to differ- sometimes. to my understanding, most athlon II dual cores ARE quad cores with 2 of the cores disabled. sometimes you can unlock them sucessfully, and sometimes the cores, unce unlocked, turn out to be defective.

in this particular case, though, the processor is a "regor" series, which are maufactured as dual core from the start, and do not have any extra hidden cores to unlock.

#9 acheleg

acheleg

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:26 PM

but to the original question... there is a fairly negligible performance differrence batween ddr3 1033 and ddr3 1800oc, maybe about 15%. very few applications can properly utilize ram frequencies past 800mhz.

anyway, there are no current amd processors which *officially* support ddr3 1800mhz speed ram, though some x3 or x4's *may* be able to utilize this speed if overclocked. i say *may* because every individual chip overclocks differrently. overclocking is NEVER a guarantee. a 1333mhz compatible x3 or x4, if overclocked around 28% would overclock the 1333mhz ram to 1800mhz, but a 28% overclock is very rare. more realistic overclocking expectations are around 10-15%, though overclocks even as high as 50% are occasionally seen. still, the differrence between 1033mhz and 1800 mhz ram is pretty negligible, and overclocking often requires a better heatsink, more fans, a better vantilated case, lots of patience and/or a bit of tolerance for the possibility of burning out your hardware.

dual core Athlon/Phenom II's are only guaranteed to be compatible with DDR3 1033mhz max, while triple and quad core (x3 and x4) athlon/phenom II's officially max out at ddr3 1333mhz. since the regor cores are definitely NOT x4's with 2 disabled cores, but dual cores from the start, i think its a pretty safe bet that the listing of the 1033mhz ram is pretty accurate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users