Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Annoying pop-ups and some software have no internet connection

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 maksler

maksler

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:39 AM

Dear all,

I have a problem on a laptop (DELL Latitude E5500) running Windows XP Professional SP 3.
The internet itself is working, as I'm typing this message from the computer. However, certain programs (Chrome and almost all of my anti-malware software) do not have a connection to the internet and start whining when I try to update. I've uninstalled McAfee (as I don't like it and it seemed to be reasonably inactive) and installed Avast! which has found several things. I tried running Spybot S&D, but that can't be installed, because it tries to update. Installing MBAM did work, but it didn't ran, only if I renamed mbam.exe to mbam.bat. SUPERantispyware did install and ran only after I renamed it, but both (MBAM & SUPERantispyware) do not connect to the internet, so I can not update these. Both programs found some things, but apparently not enough, because the internet-problem is still there.
In addition, when I am on the internet, I get annoying popups (for fake antivirus softwares, pharmastores, and partypoker) and a lot of times the links don't seem to work, but they forward me to one of these sites I've mentioned.
I've tried running these things in safe mode (where I get an annoying error about svchost.exe:
"svchost.exe - Application Error

'The instruction at "0xC01a624b" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program"

Running the software in safe mode didn't help, so now I'm clueless... All software says the laptop is clean, but according to myself it isn't.

Does anyone have a suggestion for me? I've already downloaded and installed HijackThis, but I don't know what to do with the output... If anybody wants to see it, I can post it (just tell me what things to post).

Thanks!

Max

Edited by hamluis, 08 November 2010 - 10:55 AM.
Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users