Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sticklegsmusic

sticklegsmusic

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:32 AM

Hi I changed the files on my memory stick to read only now I wish to delete all files and start again but the memory stick wont let me delete files nor write files to the stick please help thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:49 AM

You could attempt the reverse process. The same way you made your files Read-Only you can make then non-read only using the Properties dialogue box.

If all fails, try using a little tool called Unlocker which will override all imposed permissions and delete the files for you.

You can find it here along with instructions on how to use it.

Hope it helps
| A+ | Net+ | MCDST | MCITP |

"...if ever I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than any other talent..." (1642-1727, Isaac Newton)

#3 sticklegsmusic

sticklegsmusic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:12 AM

You could attempt the reverse process. The same way you made your files Read-Only you can make then non-read only using the Properties dialogue box.

If all fails, try using a little tool called Unlocker which will override all imposed permissions and delete the files for you.

You can find it here along with instructions on how to use it.

Hope it helps

I have tried this and it says cannot unlock nor delete files

#4 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:39 AM

• Are you the Administrator of the machine? - You'll need this to have any power over the files
  • Have you attempted to run any anti-virus or anti-malware of any sort? - Occasionally malware can have these strange effects on files and folders
  • Also, if you don't need anything that is in the memory stick, why not just format it?

If there's anything else you have attempted, let me know, so I can find the best solution for you.

"...if ever I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than any other talent..." (1642-1727, Isaac Newton)

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:57 AM

Why not just format it?

Louis

#6 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:12 AM

Why not just format it?

Louis

Yeah hamluis that's exactly what I said on my last post funny enough <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users