Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Desktop only shows Icons Without Names

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 monsbob

monsbob

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:42 AM

Hello,
A couple of weeks ago I noticed my Win XP SP3 desktop PC (Gateway E-6610D) behaving in a peculiar way. After it runs for some hours Icons on the desktop start losing their names. Installed programs start giving errors. The start menu also shows some icons without names or they keep alternating as I move the mouse cursor. Normal command dialogues' windows like 'shutdown' or 'save' also show on the desktop without any writings which makes it very frustrating until I escape and refresh the desktop. The problem is only solved once I reboot only to recur again after some time. The re-booting process also hangs after some processes are stopped so I'm forced to cold-boot.
I have tried to scan the system with AVG and also Avira both in normal and safe modes but I'm not getting any infections and the PC still behaves the same.
Kindly guide me on how I can clean the system at least without formatting.
Thank you.
Monsbob.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users