Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HOW TO TURN OFF PROGRAMS THAT RUN AT STARTUP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:20 PM

Hi All,

I want to know if there is a way to disable programs that start up when Windows starts up, other than by turning them off using MSCONFIG, which I understand is not recommended.

I'm running Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, on a machine that has every bit of 128 Megs of RAM and I have a whole gaggle of programs all fighting over resources at start up.

Needless to say that gives me enough time, not only to cook a meal, but to eat it too, while my machine boots up.

I want to shut to be able to shut off everything that runs at start up, except for my Anti Virus, and maybe two other programs. Then be able to start everything else as I need it.

Thanks for any advice.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:23 PM

Use the programs configuration options to turn them off. I would high recommend more RAM.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:01 AM

Hi Wendy -
As above by cryptodan - You need a bigger plate (and not just for your meals) - Delete , Delete , Delete - Make a deal(not meal) :busy: in your Add/Remove area first -
If it has not been used for 2 months , put it on a CD or delete it - We all do this and kill our systems with over work -
If you can not defrag then it is well overloaded (more RAM) , if you can but it takes hours , same thing -
Delete all temp internet files with CCleaner (untick every item in the registry section) and I also use "ATF Cleaner by Atribune" to remove the rest -
You can also set programs to load after start up so they do not clash , as they are doing - Just my 2 cents worth -

Thank You -

#4 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:29 AM

Hi cryptodan, Thanks for your reply.

More RAM would be a big help, but this thing uses SDRAM, and at the present time I can't afford the $71 bucks that CRUCIAL [spelling?] wants for a stick of that stuff.

Use the programs configuration options to turn them off.

I thought I knew how to do that, BUT, I can't find what I need to find to get it done. Could you point me in the right direction so that I can get to that configuration option without having a nervous breakdown?

Next, I have a topic posted in the Malware Forum that I'm waiting for a reply to, so I need to ask if it is OK to turn stuff off before I get a response from them?

HEY, I just tried to post this reply 3 times and kept getting ERROR #2000, the same thing happened when I clicked your Avatar in an attempt to PM you about the error.

Thanks again for your help.

EDITED: Hi noknojon, sorry I missed you in this reply. Most of what is starting at start up is stuff that I do use everyday, but my limited amount of RAM is a major factor in my needing to stop everything I need to use from all starting at the same time.

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

Wendy

Edited by Wendy K. Walker, 08 November 2010 - 12:37 AM.

TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:21 AM

Hi Wendy,

For those few startups that cannot be controlled through their own programs, I use the start up section in the tools section of Spybot to manage my startups. You can also use Autoruns. I have had a couple of things that run that cannot be stopped by either program so I use my firewall's operating system firewall to stop those

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:43 AM

Hi, Wendy :), good to see you here.

<<...I have a topic posted in the Malware Forum that I'm waiting for a reply to, so I need to ask if it is OK to turn stuff off before I get a response from them?>>

If you have a topic in any of the malware forums...you should NOT make changes to your system before resolution of that topic.

As for managing startups...there are any number of applications which are designed to be startup managers (while msconfig is not).

IMO, the best of these tools is AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Louis

#7 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:03 AM

Hi hamluis, Thanks for your reply, and it's good to see you again too.

If you have a topic in any of the malware forums...you should NOT make changes to your system before resolution of that topic.

I kind of thought that that was the case. I'm not going to be making any changes till I get a reply to my Malware topic. I just wanted to do some reading on the subject so that I would know what to do once I have my current issue straightened out.

Thanks again, and thanks for that link too.

Wendy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users