Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP registry

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 superfoozer

superfoozer

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:15 PM

So I have a pc that I can't get into windows XP pro SP3 anymore. It's in a constant reboot state. I was able to get into it about 4 times after doing a disk check with repairs. It said it repaired a few bad sectors. I can't boot into it anymore. Long story short, I need to get into the registry to grab some license's for some software that was installed. I can see the drive when it's plugged into another pc and am booting to windows through another hdd. I am wondering how to see the registry of the hdd that I am not booting to.
Anyone know how?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:50 PM

If you put the drive from machine (A) into another machine (B) you can use the regedit on machine (B) to access the hive files

Simply run Regedit select the HKLM key and from the "file" menu you should see an option to load hive.

Browse to the desired hive on the hard-drive you connected (ensure that you have access to where the hives are stored, for XP it will be in the "windows\system32\config" directory, I'd suggest ensuring you have the necessary backups and backup each hive you intend on editing.

That should get you started, good luck in tracking down the fault.

EDIT:
Just to clarify this problem is preventing you from logging on to your machine right? Otherwise this is a heck of a way to go about fixing this problem.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 superfoozer

superfoozer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:19 PM

Maybe I explained it poorly.
I am trying to get into the registry of an hdd that has xp pro installed on it. I am unable to load windows using the hdd in question. I have put it on the ide cable of another pc and can now see the files/folders. I do not, however, know how to get into the registry of the aforementioned hdd. I can boot the pc it is installed on, but am booting to a different hdd with another installation of xp.
What I am trying to do is get a software license out of the old registry. The place I work for does not use volume licensing, for whatever reasons, and the only way I can move the software installation to the new pc is to get the license from the registry of the old installation onto the other hdd.
Make sense? Hope so and appreciate the help!

#4 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:54 PM

Something to consider as just a rescue option is to do a 'Repair' install of Windows, it will reset the Windows settings and hopefully allow you to recover the data you need. Unless it is a Windows specific piece of software, then it might get boogered up. You start a Windows install, and go past the Recovery Console option, then it will offer to repair the existing windows system. I have seen it revive very sick machines long enough to get data and reimage them.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:47 PM

Editing Registry for Another User - http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_adv_reg_editing.htm

How to edit the registry offline using BartPE boot CD - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/peboot.htm

Louis

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:54 PM

superfoozer, are you aware that unlike Windows 98 and prior, the product key is encrypted in the XP registry, not exposed as readable text?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:59 PM

Just a note...what Platypus stated is true for the XP key.

But I'm not sure whether any individual program key/license data...is also encrypted.

<<What I am trying to do is get a software license out of the old registry. The place I work for does not use volume licensing, for whatever reasons, and the only way I can move the software installation to the new pc is to get the license from the registry of the old installation onto the other hdd.>>

Louis

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:17 PM

I don't know for sure whether it's Windows or the application's own installation routine that determines if its product key is encrypted, but apps like recent versions of Office do have encrypted keys.

One thing to try is key recovery software that can import a registry, such as MagicalJellybean:

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users