Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SATA TO USB ADAPTER QUESTION

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 geno368

geno368

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:35 PM

I have a USB to SATA/IDE adapter which I have used in the past to copy off data from older drives. I have a computer(not mine) running Windows XP Media center 2002 and it has corrupt system files and I don't have the install disk. I can re-format it in XP, but I want to use the adapter on my desktop to copy all her files to another external hard drive and then re-install the drive back in the trouble computer to format it again. When I hook it to my Vista system, It does not recognize it. In computer management, it says I have to initialize it but that would erase all the data, right???
While I had it running on the old system last week, I was able to run tests on the hd and the memory before it would become unresponsive.(the tests were positive) The mouse would move, but no programs would execute. That led me to believe some files were corrupt. The only error messages I got last week were:"runtime error...c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe" Yesterday it was worse and started getting the BSOD. I would appreciate any suggestions...Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:41 PM

The errors and other info given sounds like an infection. Be very careful in what data you save and then transfer to the new install. Depending on the type of infection, a re-infection is possible.

No. Initialize(ing) the drive will not erase any data. Formatting a drive is erasing data.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:03 PM

When Disk Management displays a hard drive...which does not appear to have a partition/file system or O/S...such as a brand new drive...then the drive must be initialized before it can be formatted/used/seen in My Computer.

If you have a used hard drive and Disk Management is telling you that it needs to be initialized...it's telling you that it cannot read the partition structures and/or files on the drive.

Data-recovery software would be my next step...no, actually I would go with directly connecting the drive to the motherboard, eliminating the USB adaptor as an additional source of frustration.

Louis

#4 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:15 AM

I appreciate the help...
I know this is a stupid question, but how do I initialize it? When I click on that, it says the drive is not ready..

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:03 PM

You only need to initialize...a brand new hard drive.

If any other drive indicates that you need to initialize...that drive has problems.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users