Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing And Sluggished Pc

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sam-my

sam-my

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 24 November 2005 - 05:22 PM

I am running a Windows XP pro SP2 with all the Fixes.
The PC was running well but not fast enough relatively to the PC I have in my office.
I had encountered some overheating issues (the PC freezed during manual scan using AV or games - CPU temp reached 65 C) therefore I removed the case left side panel and the "PC Freezing " issue was so solved.
Yesterday, I decided to increase the RAM (which is King Max256 mb DDR) and used a Ceon 256 mb DDR. My Computer showed 512mb in RAM Memory.
I havn't remarked any speed or sensitive improvement.
Today, the PC is terribly lagging. Surfing the net takes approx 5 to 6 more time than it was some days ago.
I tried to manually scan the PC using NOD 32 or Ewido, but the PC freezed after 12 - 14 minutes (during the scan process) and the CPU temperature fluctuated between 49 to 65 C.
At rest i.e. the PC with only the "guards" on the system tray running shows a temperature of 36 - 38 c for the CPU.
Suspecting some nasties, I performed a manual scan using AV, Ewido, A2, Ad Aware, SpyBot and hade no finding (except one cookie). The PC is defragmented and clean ( I cleaned it yesterday after installing the additional RAM using a PC air dust cleaner). I removed all the junk files and cleaned the Registry using Ccleaner and ACE.
I removed the additional RAM. Insignificant effect.
I was told that this is maybe due to the negative effect of static electricity induced during the RAM installation? I have no idea how to check that.

Please need assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 24 November 2005 - 07:07 PM

What kind of processor are we talking about? Is the CPU fan running?

I'd suggest (after earthing youself to the PC case then unplugging the power cord) removing the CPU fan and heatsink, clean off the gunk on the bottom and apply some new thermal paste (available from electronic stores) and re-fit it OR look into getting a new (better) cooler for the CPU. While you're at the store price a static strap for future component handling situations.

There is no way, that I'm aware of, that you can check for static damage. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 24 November 2005 - 07:08 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2005 - 08:06 PM

Hello Rimmer

Thanks a lot for assisting me

The Processor: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3GHz
The fan is located on the processor using two clips which strongly tight it over the processor, so I think there is no need of paste
The unit (fan and heat sink) seems to be original from Intel -> there is a sticker on the fan :" Intel 12VCD, 0.24A...." with a srial number
The fan and the sink have been thoroughly cleaned using PC air dust cleaner
Actually (when I am sending this message) the fan speed shows 2637 RPM and the Temp are 43C for the CPU and 35C for the HD ( as per SpeedFan). Is this a normal data for a PC at "rest"?.
I noted for the static strap - Thanks

As an additional test, I installed a house fan (15 in dia) approx 20 in from the open side of the PC case in order to give an big additional source of blowing air. I ran a PC scan using NOD 32 AV. the results where:
No freeze during the scan process, CPU temp: between 50 to 60 C , HD temp: between 36 to 39 C.
:thumbsup:

Surfing the net is causing the PC to be terribly sluggish. Making me crazy.
But opening a program from the desktop (icons) or from "Programs" is relatively fast.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2005 - 11:03 PM

Well if you're slow surfing the net then it's either -
  • a slow PC - which you say is not the problem now,
  • a slow internet connection - Go to Toast select the 'Shuttle + Text' option and click the 'Run Test' button. Post back with the 'Your result' number.
  • or malware activity eating your resources - you say you've run all the normally recommended anti-spyware in you first post. Update them all and run them in Safe Mode.
Then try some online scans:
Panda Active Scan online - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
Internet Explorer only. Requires email address. Requires Active-X components to be installed. Approx 12MB download.

BitDefender online scan - http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/licence.php
Internet Explorer only. Must agree to a EULA. Need to allow installation of an Active X component.Some of the options are not clearly explained.

McAfee online scan - http://www.pcpitstop.com/freescan/

Security Advisor (?) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx

Trend Micro Housecall - http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise...call_launch.php
(European version, supports Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox and Opera)
or http://housecall.antivirus.com/ (IE only)

Kaspersky - http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus
Link to 'Online Scan' at the top rhs of the page. Requires IE and Active-X components.
"does not scan RAM, boot sectors and MBRs, so it cannot detect malicious code located in these areas."

:thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 24 November 2005 - 11:03 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2005 - 03:52 PM

Hello Rimmer

First thanks for your time and assistance

1. I run on-line PC scan using BitDefender and Trend -> No finding
2. I run PC scan while on Safe Mode using Ewido, A2, AdAware, Spy Sweeper, Nod32 -> no finding
3. Performed the "Tost" test four times. As follows the results
- 33.6K Modem -> 35 - 57 K
- 56K Modem -> 73 - 95 K
- ISDN/I-DSL -> 222 - 267 K
- Cable/ADSL -> 229 - 950 K
- T1 -> 1078 - 1300 K

- Your Throughput : -> 36*K, 28*k , 39*K , 62*K (for the four tests respectively)

4. As I mentioned in my previous thread, when working on the existing files, i.e., opening icons from the Desktop, or drivers, etc the PC is working well. The problem is only with the Internet (either with IE or Firefox)
5. BTW do you suggest me to reinstall the removed 256 RAM
The existing (installed) one is King Max 256Mb DDR400, and the available one is CEON 256Mb DDR400.
My Motherboard is Gigabyte: GA- 8I865P-G. Is there any incompatibility?

6. NOTE: I have an old version of WinDoctor. I just ran it and got the following:
Missing File:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\11\00\Intel32\DotNetInstaller.exe
Problem:
C:\Program File\........\DotNetInstaller.exe cannot access a necessary file "mscoree.dll"

Do you think there is any relation to my issue??

Many Thanks

Sam

Edited by sam-my, 25 November 2005 - 04:48 PM.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2005 - 06:51 PM

The dotnet installer error can be ignored see - http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.n...002112512224107

Sounds like your system is clean to me.

Are you on dial-up? For anything else your internet speed is pretty bad - contact your Service Provider and see if they can check your connection.

#7 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:59 AM

Hello Rimmer

We (most you) did it.
I contacted the ISP and they guided me over the phone to reset my modem and how to reset my router too.
After few attempts the PC is running smooth and the connections recover to their previous speed
( I am connected thru Hi-Speed cable 750K - you understand why I felt frustrated).
I am still happy with this exercise - I learnt some lessons, and I know that my system is clean.

For my previous question regarding the intermix of two RAM brands. Do you suggest me to post it under "Hardware" post?

Many Thanks

Sam

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2005 - 05:15 PM

I am running a Windows XP pro SP2 with all the Fixes.
The PC was running well but not fast enough relatively to the PC I have in my office.
I had encountered some overheating issues (the PC freezed during manual scan using AV or games - CPU temp reached 65 C) therefore I removed the case left side panel and the "PC Freezing " issue was so solved.
Yesterday, I decided to increase the RAM (which is King Max256 mb DDR) and used a Ceon 256 mb DDR. My Computer showed 512mb in RAM Memory.
I havn't remarked any speed or sensitive improvement.
Today, the PC is terribly lagging. Surfing the net takes approx 5 to 6 more time than it was some days ago.
I tried to manually scan the PC using NOD 32 or Ewido, but the PC freezed after 12 - 14 minutes (during the scan process) and the CPU temperature fluctuated between 49 to 65 C.
At rest i.e. the PC with only the "guards" on the system tray running shows a temperature of 36 - 38 c for the CPU.
Suspecting some nasties, I performed a manual scan using AV, Ewido, A2, Ad Aware, SpyBot and hade no finding (except one cookie). The PC is defragmented and clean ( I cleaned it yesterday after installing the additional RAM using a PC air dust cleaner). I removed all the junk files and cleaned the Registry using Ccleaner and ACE.
I removed the additional RAM. Insignificant effect.
I was told that this is maybe due to the negative effect of static electricity induced during the RAM installation? I have no idea how to check that.

Please need assistance.

I don't believe 65C, which is 149F is overheating, at least for Pentiums.
What CPU do you have?

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2005 - 08:01 PM

That's good news! :thumbsup:

they guided me over the phone to reset my modem and how to reset my router too.

Hmmm.... wish I knew what they got you to do.

Re the RAM, yes post it as a new topic in Hardware (don't forget to post all your system specs).
:flowers:

#10 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 01:07 PM

hello Enthusiast

The Processor: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3GHz
Power Supply spec: Mono Mode, Model MPT-300, (300W Max)
Ram memory: 256Mb
Temperatures are measured using SpeedFan Program. When the working temp. is below 50C there is a Green V near the number. Above 50C the V changes into a "fire" icon.
When I am running a manual scan usinf AV or Ewido, the CPU temp arise easily to above 60C. When in the mean time I am surfing the net or downloading some other program, it reached the 65-67.
When the case is "closed" the PC freezes within 12-14 minutes. When one side panel of the case is open, the PC can complete the task.
I have two fans: one on the CPU (I think it is original from Intel) and a rear fan approx 3.2 in dia (pulling air outside the case). There is no room to install a forward mounted fan. I think I can install a side mounted one on the panel that I usually remove remove (to push air inside) . Do you think it will help?

Hi Rimmer
They told me to disconnect the router and to connect the ISP modem only. They checked (remotely) if the connection was OK. Then following they guidance I open the Run -> cmd -> and typed "ping -n 50 194.90.1.5 " to check the modem connection. Then again cmd -> netstart?(I don't remember if it is exact) to check the "Internet download leakage". We checked also the modem leakage using again cmd with another command.
I was told to disconnect the modem from the power for one minute, to reconnect it and to reboot the PC.
They told me if they will be some lagging they will replace the modem.
I will try to contact them again to have the correct commands and to forward them to you.

Thank you all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users