Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop DVD drive connecting to my laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 connect42

connect42

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:00 AM

Hi. I hope this is ok to ask in this section. I have a desktop that is being replaced by a new laptop. The desktop has an internal LG DVD drive that I would like to occasionally use with the laptop. Is this what I need to make that happen? If not, any suggestions?

My link

Thank you,

Brian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:16 AM

I would suggest going with an external enclosure which will protect your hdd which will no longer be inside the computer. Another consideration will be to purchase a enclosure which has its own AC adapter so that the hdd is drawing power from the USP hub which will mean longer amp hours for the battery.

All of the enclosures on this page have AC adapters.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:01 PM

That adapter comes with a power brick.

First, it should work, should does not equal will. Even external enclosures do not always work with IDE/ATAPI drives. Most use those adapters for hard drives, and they work well for that. CD/DVD ROMs sometimes have compatability problems, especially if you want to burn data. I personally use an adapter like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002&cm_re=vantec_usb-_-12-232-002-_-Product as it is futureproof, well, as futureproof as anything can be I suppose.

For $8, what the heck. I do think the Newegg deal is better (qualitywise) with no shipping.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 connect42

connect42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:01 PM

Thank you guys for the replies. I am pretty new to this area of computers. Let me finish this by asking the following:

Would this do the trick? I am guessing that I remove the LG DVD drive from the desktop and fit it into this case. The enclosure comes with the appropriate USB hookups.

Newegg

Thank you very much for your help.

Edited by connect42, 07 November 2010 - 10:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users