Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When I Click On My Computer It Loads Slowly...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 anatomyx4

anatomyx4

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 24 November 2005 - 02:53 PM

This problem has been happening only recently, and I don't remember doing anything different (such as tweak my computer). I did delete a bunch of registry keys though regedit, but that was about 2 weeks ago and I pretty much knew what I was deleting. This My computer problem has only been going on for a couple days.
Basically, this is what happens...

I click on "My Computer" after windows has loaded completely and all that, then it pops up but is blank. It just shows the little flashlight/folder .gif while it says "Searching..." beneath it. I am not entirely sure what the problem is, and not only is it annoying, but it sometimes causes my computer to lock up for a minute when I download something and have to go through My Computer to set the download destination. It eventually loads them, but it takes about 30 seconds. I have never had this problem before, and I've done a lot of searching on the internet and can't find the answer I'm looking for.

One more thing to add... It's not one of those problems where it does this searching deal only once, it's every time. So if i double-click My Computer, I have to go through the 30 second search period. If I close My Computer and open it again, I will have to go through the same 30 second search period again.

If anyone could help me, or give me and insight as to how I can fix this problem, please let me know. Thanks so much in advanced.

((My apologies if this isn't the right section to post this in, I figured this was a Hardware problem since it has to do with loading the hardware in My Computer))

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2005 - 11:16 AM

Recently I edited my registry, and since I knew what I was doing I didn't back it up. But, I deleted too many keys and couldn't remember all of them.

Well, long story short, my system crashed! Took a repair install to fix it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 anatomyx4

anatomyx4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2005 - 01:17 PM

Uh oh, that worries me man. What is a repair install? Do you think that my problem could lead to a system crash?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 12:14 AM

Why do you have to go to "My Computer" to determine where a download will be stored?

If the download manager built into your op system is not operating allowing you to select the folder when you click on download, download a separate download manager.

That doesn't answer your question though.

Try cleaning up the temp files on your computer - not just the browser temp files, but those of the Windows system as well.

#5 anatomyx4

anatomyx4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 02:23 AM

Why do you have to go to "My Computer" to determine where a download will be stored?

If the download manager built into your op system is not operating allowing you to select the folder when you click on download, download a separate download manager.

That doesn't answer your question though.

Try cleaning up the temp files on your computer - not just the browser temp files, but those of the Windows system as well.

Sorry I wasn't exactly clear on that. I download everything into my storage drive [D:]. Which is why I go through "My Computer". I don't necessarily have to go there, but I do because Windows is installed on my C: drive which is where stuff that is on my desktop gets saved to. I know this doesn't make sense probably, it's just a thing I want to do in an attempt to stay organized, and prevent procrastination before my desktop piles up with garbage.

Update by the way: My problem is fixed now, I actually downloaded RegistryFix from a link on this site, and it worked well (i think). I'm not entirely sure but I think that it solved my problem, because I don't have to deal with that "Searching..." stuff anymore.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 09:27 AM

Uh oh, that worries me man. What is a repair install? Do you think that my problem could lead to a system crash?

I don't know enough about this error to diagnose it.

But, if it was the registry changes that did it - then you're "probably" stable the way that you are right now.

A repair install is a way to overwrite all the Windows files without disturbing your files or setting, and is, IMO, a drastic measure that you don't need to do right now. (many folks will recommend this as a "cure-all" - I don't)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users