Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Physical Memory Dump??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 satch72

satch72

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:38 AM

Hi all, first post and its a problem, tho I guess thats not unusual in here.

This concerns my daughters pc. Its an older dell and was very slow, working on a 256Mb ram.
So i upgraded it for her to 512Mb. Its been working fine, just right for what she needs it for ,
( mainly homework and Facebook!! ) But yesterday when she booted it up she got this:

C0000218 ( Registry file failure )
The registry cannot load the hive ( file ):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\Software or its log or alternate
it is corrupt, absent or not writeable

Beginning dump of physical memory
( brief pause )
Physical memory dump complete
Contact you system administrator blah blah

Now, is this anything to do with the new memory boards i installed??
My gut says it is, but i'm not sure which way to go from here

Operating system is XP ...not exactly sure which model Dell it is.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Gary

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:00 AM

Hi Gary, :welcome: to Bleeping Computer,it seems you have a corrupted registry. When you start the computer press F8 in the first few seconds of booting before windows tries to boot. Choose "restore last known good configuration" from the advanced startups and see how that goes.

Edited by killerx525, 07 November 2010 - 07:01 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:03 AM

This failure can be caused by RAM. Try removing the new module you installed and see if the problem stops.

Please see if you can find the model of this Dell and post it along with the make and model of the RAM module you installed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 satch72

satch72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:01 AM

Just an update on how things are now...thanks for the F8 killerx525, worked a treat.
As things stand she is having to F8 and load last good configuration every time. I havent been able to get PC details as yet, or RAM details...access problems too boring to go into lol...but i will endeavour to find out. Thanks for the help guys :)

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:28 PM

Microsoft Says...

Don't click on anything, don't download anything...but read the narrative at http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_stop.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users