Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bobbies

bobbies

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 04:42 AM

Hi,I run my karaoke on my laptop with XP.I have all my songs on an external hard drive.For some reason its stopped working, it won't show up in My Computer. I have tried it on another computer and it's O/K.I have three U S B ports and it won't work on anyone of them. Do you think i have alltered something by accident or is it my laptop. Hope you can help, i have 35000 songs on it. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 04:46 AM

You can uninstall the driver of the external hard drive then plug it in again which should install the driver of the external and hopefully showing up in my computer.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 bobbies

bobbies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:47 AM

You can uninstall the driver of the external hard drive then plug it in again which should install the driver of the external and hopefully showing up in my computer.

thanks for your quick reply, but i'm afraid i haven't a clue what you mean. I am only a novise, could you explain please. thanks.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:10 AM

Hdds are plug and play devices which don't have drivers.

Bobbies, Go to Start> righ click on My Computer> Manage> Device Manager. When this opens you will see an icon of a monitor at the top of the column, right click on this. A drop menu will appear with the option to Scan for hardware changes, click on this and see you can then see the hdd.

Edited by dc3, 07 November 2010 - 11:20 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 bobbies

bobbies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:52 AM

Hi. I pluged my hard drive in to do what you suggested, and it started on it's own. It then went of and i followed your instructions, but when i clicked onthe computor icon it did say, scan for hard drive changes but nothing happened and i cant see it in the drop down menu.

I forgot to tell you that my ports must be O/K because my mp3 player is recognised in each of my three ports. So if my hard drive and cables work in another computer and my ports are letting me see my mp3 player it looks strange. Thanks again.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:59 AM

I clicked on the computer icon it did say scan for hard drive changes, but nothing happened.

When the option to Scan for hardware changes appeared, did you click on it? You have to click on this for it to make the search.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 bobbies

bobbies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:41 AM

Yes i clicked on it but i never saw any action going on, and i can't see any icon representing my hard drive.

I am now thinking it's my usb cable there are a few slight kinks in it and on an odd occasion when i fiddle with it it will start up. Then when i let go of it, it will stop again. I will have to be more carefull when puting it away.

It must have been just lucky when i tried it on another laptop, that it started, making me think it was my laptop at fault. I will buy another cable and try that. Thanks again for your help.

How good to have sites like this where people give up their time to help us dummies. Thanks

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:18 PM

Let us know if this is a fix for you. There are other possibilities that we can look at if this doesn't fix it.

#9 bobbies

bobbies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 03:04 PM

Fixed. USB. cable.damaged. Thanks.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:09 PM

Good to hear! :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users