Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crash due to "heat", bad sensor

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Chris_Pool

Chris_Pool

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:29 AM

One of my friends has a computer that's been working great until recently. His computer crashes if he tries to play a game and play music/browse the internet in the background. At first I thought it was the PSU, but I asked him to start up speedfan while he was in the middle of the game.
GPU is 50C. Okay.
"Temp1" is 60C. Okay.
"Temp2" is 90C. What?
"Temp3" is 60c.

I went over to his house. I ran prime95 to stress the computer and had speedfan open. I felt the air coming out of the back fan. Nothing that hot.
All the temps stayed at normal levels, except for this mysterious "Temp2" which slowly rose to 100C at which point the computer turned itself off.

At first, I thought "Temp2" was the cpu. I took off the old thermal paste, applied new paste and made absolutely sure that there was a good connection between the heatsink and the cpu. I made absolutely sure that the heatsink was screwed down to its backplate.
Next, I tried the stress test again. Temp2 still rose to 100C and the computer crashed. As soon as it did, I restarted and went into the hardware monitor through the motherboard. It listed the CPU as being at 45C, and the motherboard at 32C. Nothing strange.

I ran the stress test one final time. When the computer crashed, I immediately removed the power and opened the case. I touched the CPU heatsink, it was barely warm. I touched the GPU, it too was barely warm. I touched the north bridge heatsink. Nothing. I touched every other part of the motherboard and I cannot find this mysterious component that's hitting 100C.

I have no idea what to do from here. Any help at all would be appreciated, or maybe how I can disable this sensor from running because it obviously is telling the motherboard it's too hot and is the reason why it's turning off.

The board is an MSI G31M3 V2, if that even matters.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:40 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Lets get a second opinion by using other programs that does the same thing as Speed fan.

Here is two programs.

SPECCY http://www.piriform.com/speccy

HWMonitor http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

First, because the programs above are freeware, I suggest during installation you disregard any options to install any tool bars for your browser, such as the Ask.com or Google tool bars.
Those options are displayed in the box that asks if you want to add quick launch short cuts, I personally feel those tool bars are not needed.

The Speccy web site at piriform.com only asks for donations, you do not have to donate if you do not wish too.
It also explains how to use the program.
There are a few sensors in this program that display as green gauges and rise and fall along with the current sensor temp.
The menus on the left side of speccy can be clicked for more information on each category, such as CPU, Graphics or hard drive details.

HWMonitor is similar to Speed fan, the difference is HWMonitor does not load a pre-determined threshold like speed fan does.

With Speed fan you can download and use another computer owners pre-determined temperature range for a particular computer setup from the Speed fan web site.
That is not the case with HWMonitor.

Use all three programs to determine what sensor is sending the 100 degree Celsius reading.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 November 2010 - 09:48 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users