Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 to siemans router won't connect

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rwswan

rwswan

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:03 AM

Hi,
I have a home network with a Siemans Speedstream 6520 series router.
Connected are 2 x XP (P_C and a laptop)plus (formerly) 1 x Vista laptop.
The system uses a Netgear WG111v2 adapters at the PC/Laptop.
Recently did a clean install of the Vista laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate and now I can't connect to the router.
The laptop can "see" the router SSID but will not actually connect.
Loopback test Ping 127.0.0.1 on the laptop came back with all 4 results - all okay there.
Ping IPCONFIG /ALL tells me that the wireless "media is disconnected". And it properly identifies the network card.
So to my mind it's either the router or the network adapter that can't work with Windows 7.
Anyone have any knowledge about this kind of issue?
Cheers,
Russ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rwswan

rwswan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:20 AM

If you were considering replying to this, never mind, but thanks anyway.
I've got it going.
Found a Netgear WG111v2 vers 4.0 driver that is compatible with Windows 7 in 64 bit and 32 bit. Installed it but it wouldn't work at first.
Uninstalled it again the next day - then reinstalled it and it worked.
I suspect it didn't work the first time because I may have entered the key in as a passphrase (wrong box) and maybe it was confused or something.
Anyway, all's well.
Cheers,
Russ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users