Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Complete System Malfunction!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bigpizza2000

bigpizza2000

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 24 November 2005 - 02:19 PM

Please can anyone help?
My dad's computer was running very slow, so he bought some new ram for it. Seemed ok for a couple of days but then the system was crashing every 10 mins or so, until eventually it was more like every 30 seconds.
Not quite sure what he did after that, but now it seems to have no record of windows. I have windows ME on cd so i tried to load from that, followed the instructions to copy file path which led to OEMsetup.exe. Now receiving error message: 'An error was detected while trying to read or write to your hard disk'. the only option then is to restart, which just takes us back to the same screen to enter the file path to boot from.

if i take the cd out of the drive, nothing happens at all, just tells me an unexpected error has occurred.

Pretty please can anyone help??

jen x :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 24 November 2005 - 06:48 PM

Firstly you need to tell us everything you can about your dad's PC. CPU, Memory size, Hard drive size, is it a 'Brand Name' PC? If so what make & model? What operating system did it have? Do you have the original CDs that came with the system?

Secondly Windows ME is the worst version of Windows you can get imho, Win98SE or Win2000 would be far better. Win XP if the PC can handle it.

Thirdly have you opened the case to check (after touching the case to earth yourself and then removing the power cord) if everything is still firmly in place? Maybe the extra RAM was not installed correctly and has come loose? Get a can of compressed air from an electronics store or supermarket and blow out all the dust from the fans and heatsink around the cpu and power supply - take the PC outside to do this if possible.

Finally, there are plenty of people here who can give you good advice, just be patient as everyone is a volunteer and drops by when they can.
:thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 24 November 2005 - 06:49 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 bigpizza2000

bigpizza2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:02 PM

not quite sure how but seem to have fixed it!

i know how rubbish ME is, ive had words myself! the problem was we only had an upgrade of XP and so needed another OS installed for the upgrade to work. not quite sure what changed but ive managed to get it working now, including the new ram! either help from the gods or i was just having a jim'll fix it moment!

last time we get our computers built to spec (tho it was a few years back) as we have been having nothing but trouble!

many thanks for your help, i'm sure i'll be back very soon !!

:thumbsup:

jen xx

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 25 November 2005 - 06:18 PM

That's good news! Glad you fixed it. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users