Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't run disk defragmenter

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 strech46290

strech46290

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:26 PM

I try to run disk defragmenter neither analyze or defragment will run past 10%. Error box pops up saying
" Disk defragenter cannot continue prescan because there is a corruption in file: c:/WINDOWS.O\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\systemprofile\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft" it is the same error box for both analyze and defragment. Any ideas on how to fix this problem will be much appreciated thank you!

EDit:fixed title

Edited by boopme, 06 November 2010 - 09:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 teiresias

teiresias

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:59 AM

Sometimes I have been in a similar situation, where I attempted to run Disk Defragmenter and it stops mid-process and says that it cannot continue. I do not recall the exact wording, but the message I received was also either about file/folder corruption, or some kind of disk error, or the volume being dirty, and it would advise me to run CHKDSK to fix that problem before it would let me defragment.

I would check if C: is being recognized as being "dirty" - I don't know your level of computer knowledge (though I'm not an expert), so forgive me if I state things too basicly:

On the Start menu, there should be a "Run" button; click that. Alternately, it can be accessed through holding the Windows key on the keyboard and then pressing the R button. After the Run box appears, in the white box after Open:, type "cmd" (without quotation marks) and press Enter (or click OK).

This should bring up the command prompt box. Type "fsutil dirty query C:" (C doesn't have to be capitalized) and press Enter. This command does not change or activate or set anything; it asks whether the C: drive has been marked as "dirty" and should either output something like "Volume - C: is NOT dirty" or "Volume - C: IS dirty", though the capitalization (etc). may be a bit different.

If C: is not said to be dirty, than it's not the situation I've experienced before, and don't know anything else about what you should do. If, however, is IS dirty, read on:

This information is based on a combination of my past experiences and information from Microsoft articles I've read repeatedly before and just again right now; there is some speculation about possibilities for situations different than my own, though I've noted those to be such.
----------------------------------------
If C: has been marked as dirty, your computer is automatically going to run the CHKDSK program the next time you restart (or turn on after having shut down) your computer; if this is the case, I'd recommend backing up the important data on your computer before you restart it or turn it off, as there is a risk of data loss when CHKDSK runs. I personally have never lost any data other than the files/folders already marked as corrupt, and have usually either had those backed up elsewhere or been able to recover them.

However, as I see your Disk Defrag says that the file it notices to be corrupt (it may not be the only one, as Defrag stopped after analyzing 10% of your drive and noticing the first corrupted file/folder - if there are others on the other 90% it didn't get to, it didn't continue to analyzing that part) is part of your system folder and not merely data (pictures/media) like mine had been, I'm not sure if there will be problems I haven't personally experienced before as I haven't had that particular kind of situation.

Regardless, I would backup what you consider important on C:. You may want to look at the Microsoft page on CHKDSK that I linked to, as it has some useful information about what CHKDSK does (read it as if the /f parameter applies). For one, it says "If you use chkdsk /f on a very large disk (for example, 70 gigabytes) or a disk with a very large number of files (for example, millions of files), chkdsk might take a long time (for example, over several days) to complete. The computer is not available during this time because chkdsk does not relinquish control until it is finished." To call 70 GB large, the article is clearly dated; I have a 144.82GiB hard drive, and I don't remember it ever having taken more than 24 hours to run CHKDSK for me (I used to have probably up to 800,000 files on it) - now that I've cleaned it out more (goodbye to millions of tiny files in subfolders within subfolders within subfolders) and have less than 300,000 files on it, it usually takes less than 15 hours, sometimes even just 8, and I'm actually using the /R parameter, which takes longer than /F by itself would (/R includes /F, among other things).

I am getting off topic, so I apologize - I just looked at your profile, and noticed a January post referring to a C: with 55.89 GiB total space and 44.05GiB used at that time - if that's the drive you're referring to, I would think it wouldn't take a day, or even half that, unless you have a real ton of files on there.

When you restart and CHKDSK runs, it should tell you what it's doing while it's doing it, with percentage of completion for each category; I remember some categories are way slower than others, and sometimes minutes (or dozens) would go by before another 1 percent would go by for that particular category, but I had over 500,000 files on my computer then, I think.

After CHKDSK runs and your computer boots, if you want to see the results/log, these are the steps to follow:

Open Run again and this time put in "eventvwr.msc" w/o quotes, then click on Application in the left. If it isn't already set to appear by date, I'd click on the 'Date' button on the top of its respective column until the most recent entries appear at the top (that may take one or two clicks, not sure which), then look for an entry with "Winlogon" under Source and "1001" under Event; the time should be the same as when the CHKDSK process actually finished. Doubleclicking that line should show you the log/results of the CHKDSK process, if you had wanted to see that (it should have appeared on your screen earlier anyway, though in my case after it finishes it soon boots to the login screen, so if I'm not actually at the monitor when it completes, I don't see that moment where it shows the results). I'd suggest you then save the contents of that log to a separate text document somewhere else, in case you for some reason need to look at it again.
------------

I would then repeat the fsutil command into cmd that I mentioned earlier: if it now states that C: is not dirty, I would run Disk Defragmenter and then Analyze C: again, and Defragment it as you attempted earlier; I would think it should now defragment 100% without stopping. This, however, does not address anything related to why or how you had C: become dirty and files/folders/indexes/whatever-it-was corrupted, and whether that may or may not be something serious that you should look into or perform certain steps or tests or safeguards - you'll have to ask those more knowledgeable on that topic.

If fsutil says that C: is still dirty, or you have files stated to be corrupted again, I would suggest asking about your hard drive in the Internal Hardware forum, but that's just what I would do; I'm not claiming to be super-knowledgeable here.

Edited by teiresias, 07 November 2010 - 03:02 AM.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:54 AM

You could try sfc scan which replaces important system files that are corrupted or missing? You need the XP disc.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:31 AM

The path you listed leads only to a folder...what is the rest of the error message? What...in the designated folder...seems to be the problem, per message?

Louis

#5 strech46290

strech46290
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:13 PM

OK teiresias the drive c: is not marked dirty thanks for the help tho

killerx525 I do not have any disk for this cpu or any xp disk to run!

hamluis that is what the error box says fully in my post i have no other info from it thats all it says.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:52 PM

Take a look in Event Viewer...Applications tab.

Double-click on the last 5 errors (not info items, not warnings) and post the Source, Event ID, and description for each error.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html

Louis

#7 strech46290

strech46290
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:53 PM

Here is the last 5

1-4 is the same
source Userenv
event id 1041
description Windows cannot query DIName registry entry for {7B849a69-220f-451e-B3FE-2CB811AF94AE} and it will not be loaded this is most likely caused by a faulty registration

5. source MsiInstaller

event id 11728
description Product:PS_AIO_ProductContext--Configuration completed successfully

It seems as tho these two events happen over and over again on a daily for the past few days! I'm not sure if that helps.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:57 PM

Have a read here: Windows cannot query DIName registry entry for {7B849a69-220f-451e-B3FE-2CB811AF94AE}

Before performing their fix please run: ERUNT to back up the registry.

#9 strech46290

strech46290
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:52 PM

Bleepin madman i did what that asked and still am unable to run disk defragmenter I'm sure that help something just still in the same pickle!

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:36 PM

Have you checked the disk for errors (chkdsk)?

Try this ...
Use the Windows Error checking utility (Check Disk), with the options to scan the disk surface for errors, and attempt recovery of data and repair the disk.
  • Open "My Computer"
  • Right-click on the drive that you wish to check (C: drive/your System drive) > Properties > Tools > and in the "Error checking" section, click on "Check now".
  • Place a tick in both boxes > Start.
  • A message will notify you that a restart is necessary: Click OK, and close all windows.
  • Re-start the computer. The disk will be checked when the system boots.
    This test will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
  • When the disk check is complete, the system will re-start automatically and load Windows.
  • If any errors were found, it may be prudent to repeat Check Disk.
This just about sums up chkdsk /r
Quote: "wow thanks, quick way to solve it."
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1520848

A log of the disk check is recorded (only if the scheduled re-start is used).
To open Event Viewer and view the log:
  • Go to Start > Run > and type eventvwr and press the <ENTER> key.
  • In the left pane, click on Application.
  • In the right pane, at the top, click on the column heading Source to sort the list alphabetically.
  • Look in the Source column for "Winlogon", with an entry corresponding to the date and time of the disk check.
  • Double-click on that entry to view the log.
  • Click on the "copy" button to copy the log to the clipboard.
  • Paste the log text into your next reply.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#11 strech46290

strech46290
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:34 PM

AustrAlien alright here you go!

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 11/8/2010
Time: 1:36:14 AM
User: N/A
Computer: STEPHANIE
Description:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is FAT32.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You
may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended
that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.
Volume Serial Number is 1F40-180A
\WINDOWS.0\Prefetch\NTOSBOOT-B00DFAAD.pf first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
\WINDOWS.0\Prefetch\WUAUCLT.EXE-2A481492.pf first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
Convert lost chains to files (Y/N)? Yes
832 KB in 1 recovered files.
Windows is verifying free space...
Free space verification is complete.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.
58598784 KB total disk space.
1080480 KB in 3648 hidden files.
286240 KB in 8731 folders.
49874752 KB in 159071 files.
1312 KB in bad sectors.
7355968 KB are available.

32768 bytes in each allocation unit.
1831212 total allocation units on disk.
229874 allocation units available on disk.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:56 PM

1312 KB in bad sectors.

I strongly recommend that you do NOT attempt to defragment the drive at this time. It may exacerbate the problem

Your hard drive has a number of bad sectors. This means that it is failing, and needs to be replaced. You should immediately make plans to save your files and acquire a replacement hard drive.

As I see it, these are the two most likely ways forward.
:step1: Back up your data. Install a new hard drive, install a new Operating System and copy your files to it.
OR
:step2: Clone your current hard drive to a new hard drive and then continue with the new hard drive in place.

Edited by AustrAlien, 08 November 2010 - 09:05 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#13 strech46290

strech46290
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:47 PM

Ok what could have caused the bad sectors? Also how long will this drive keep working can a take a hard drive from an old cpu and place it in this cpu?

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:05 PM

Anything can cause bad sectors wear and tear is one of them.

#15 strech46290

strech46290
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:05 AM

OK guys thanks for all the help looks like I'm going to have to buy a new drive for this one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users