Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive will not spin with ide cable attached

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:36 PM

My in-laws' older pc had a problem with the integrated graphics card. I disassembled it and brought it to my house to try different monitors. The monitors that I know work still would not work with this pc. I removed the hard drive and placed it in an external case to ensure the hard drive was still functional. No settings were changed on the hard drive.

The hard drive was re-installed into the old pc. A PCI graphics card was installed, as well. Upon boot, the hard drive will not spin if the IDE cable is attached. If the IDE cable is removed, it spins.

Because I can't get beyond this point, I could not determine if the video card was the answer. I removed it and attempted a boot again. The hard drive will not spin if the IDE cable is attached. If it is not attached, I have no way of determining how far the pc boots. Removing the IDE cable from the CD-ROM drive has no effect.

The pc in question is about five years old, but custom-made. As for its specs, that is difficult to ascertain. The video and audio are integrated into the motherboard.

I cannot afford a new pc for my in-laws.

Any suggestions are welcomed, even "is the power cord plugged into the pc and a functioning wall outlet".

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:29 PM

The only thing that comes to mind other then the obvious double, triple then for good measures check one more time for any loose, pinched, what ever wires and connections is to look at the male plug on the back of the drive. Make sure none have become bent or worse, broken.

#3 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:49 PM

No bent or broken pins. All connections are solid. Anything else?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:23 PM

Can you run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic when properly attached?

Does it still work in a USB enclosure?

Does BIOS properly detect drive when properly connected?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users