Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan Noise Dell Dimension 8400

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 HerrBuuB

HerrBuuB

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:10 PM

Hello,
I have a very noisy fan on my Dell. i tried blowing it out, but that didn't work.
The Machine is running great even though its a few years old, any help?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:30 PM

Which fan?

#3 HerrBuuB

HerrBuuB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:02 AM

Thank for the super fast response. To my knowledge there is only one. It is the fan in the CPU.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:08 AM

You use a can of compressed air which is a lot more effective then blowing :)

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:38 AM

Could you give the exact type and model number of your Dell.

While all but the oldest of machines have at least a CPU fan. Many\all now a not only the CPU fan but at least one in the power supply.

Some machines may have more.

#6 HerrBuuB

HerrBuuB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:17 AM

Thanks, It is a Dell Dimension Desktop 8400.
And yes, I did use compressed air :)

#7 HerrBuuB

HerrBuuB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:20 AM

Wow, OK it rebooted, but when I tried to start up it wouldn't boot up and was making aloud beeping noise.
Obviously i am back up now.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:02 PM

Sounds like something may have come loose while you were inside the case.

Was there a pattern to the beeps. Were they constant? Were they grouped? Some being longer in duration then others?

Regarding the fan(s). That model should also has a fan in the power supply. If it can not be seen by looking at the back of the unit. Then it will be by looking inside the case at the power supply.

#9 HerrBuuB

HerrBuuB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:25 PM

The beeps were steady and constant. Now it is totolly silent and everything is fine. Should I worry? I think it was the power supply fan (the topmost one)

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:41 PM

The beeps were a warning of sorts. Letting you know there was a pre Windows start-up problem. What ever the cause, if you did nothing yourself to eliminate them, the cause may remain a mystery. I`m thinking perhaps there was a bit of condensation from the usage of the compressed air. It has since evaporated.

If the PC is starting and running fine then I would continue to be a bit more vigilant regarding the PCs behavior. But I would continue to use it.

Power supply fans are replaceable. Depending on your comfort level working with electrical components and age of the PC in question will help you decide to either replace the fan or the entire power supply.

#11 HerrBuuB

HerrBuuB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:07 PM

She is running great for her age. would it be wise to replace the fan now? Or "if it ain't broke don't fix it?"
Is it possible the air can worked and just took the evaporation to make the fix apparent?

#12 saradalton

saradalton

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:38 AM

I would suggest you to replace the video card and see if it makes a little difference or you can resolve it by removing the plastic covering over the heatsink and cleaning out the dust.

Wish you luck :)

#13 HerrBuuB

HerrBuuB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:54 AM

OK now back to the noise. It has started up again and is the power supply fan.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:52 PM

Trying to replace the PSU fan involves opening and working inside the PSU case. This is potentially very dangerous. There are capacitors inside that will hold high voltage charges for long periods of time. If you discharge these capacitors to your body it can have lethal effects.

If the fan is making noise the fan is probably failing, I would suggest replacing it. Dell at one time was using non-ATX form factor PSUs, but it looks like the 8400 uses a standard ATX PSU.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 saradalton

saradalton

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:20 AM

OK now back to the noise. It has started up again and is the power supply fan.

i agree with @dc3 that you should replace the fan if the problem still persists. Remember, machines and technology are never perfect so replacing the fan might help. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users