Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

video codecs problem?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Redcat 7

Redcat 7

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 06:17 PM

Hey all, I am having trouble getting media players to play avi files. I am running XP home SP3. I have recently had to replace my HHD. I used the windows disk for a fresh install, all went well. Next I put all of my programs and apps. back onto the new drive . WMP 10 and VLC player refuse to playback the video portion of the avi, sound plays OK. I have tried downloading K-Lite codec pack, but still no joy. Before the drive died everything was running well. I am unable to run the old drive to see what I have missed or forgotten. Any help with this (what I hope is a minor setback) would be great.
Thanks for your time and efforts.
Redcat7

Edited by hamluis, 06 November 2010 - 07:36 PM.
Moved from XP forum to Audio and Video ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:51 PM

I doubt, you have codecs problem, because VLC has all codecs built in and it'll play almost any video file, especially AVI.
You must have some other problem.

Did you try different AVI files?
Do you have problem with playing regular video DVD?
Do you have any problems with video on the internet?
Any errors in Device Manager?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users