Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting A Hard Disk W/existing Os

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 raikkonen

raikkonen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 24 November 2005 - 01:08 PM

need some answers here, how can i format my hard disk with a running winXP on it & partition it into two drives? i forgot to partition it into two drives. suggestion would be appreciated thanks... :thumbsup:

Edited by raikkonen, 24 November 2005 - 01:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Astoth

Astoth

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 24 November 2005 - 06:18 PM

Try Digitl Dolly 1.0. You will need to download and unzip it to a folder on your hard drive first. Then burn an .iso image to a cd. This will make it bootable. It will boot to a Linux GUI so it does not matter which OS you are using. It is very straight forward.

I am pretty sure you can do it with the program that was suggested to me by Acklan. I am not sure exactly how to use it, other than what he said. When I booted with this program, I saw an option to "adjust partition" sizes. This should work for you without reformatting. Hope it helps you!

I bet you one million dollars you read this!

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 24 November 2005 - 07:25 PM

Use the XP Disk Management tool in Control Panel>'Administrative Tools'>'Computer Management'>'Disk Management' to create the second partition in the free space on your drive.

Read this article to see how -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000/#XS...123120121120120

:thumbsup:

Edit: Not sure if disk manager needs or enables you to reduce the original partition size first. You may need to use another utility for that. E.g. Partition Magic.

Edited by Rimmer, 24 November 2005 - 07:31 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 raikkonen

raikkonen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 25 November 2005 - 04:02 AM

Use the XP Disk Management tool in Control Panel>'Administrative Tools'>'Computer Management'>'Disk Management' to create the second partition in the free space on your drive.

i have tried this procedure i got this from the tutorial the problem is when i right clicked on the selected drive example c: a menu appears like this..
Open..
Explore..
Mark partition as active
Change drive letters and paths..
Format..
Delete partition..
Properties..
Help..

note: the ones who are highlighted can be access while the others cannot..
Mark partition as active..
Format..
Delete partition..

if anyone has better suggestion/solution pls kindly reply thanks again guys..

:thumbsup:

Edited by raikkonen, 25 November 2005 - 04:05 AM.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 25 November 2005 - 08:41 AM

Digitl Dolly 1.0
I have been using this program for years. It has several very good utilities. You need to download the program and exract it to a folder on your hard drive. Burn the files to a CD in .iso format. Make sure you don't drag the folder to the burn folder. If yo do it will not boot. It has a linux OS included so the drive does not need an OS for this program to work. It will boot to an 8 bit (16 color) Linux GUI.
Everyone should have this utility in thier tool box. The thing I find makes it superior to other partition managers is it does not need an OS, just a computer that boots from a CD.
I hope you find this helpful.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users