Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can faulty harddrive cause computer not to turn on?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DerBear89

DerBear89

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 05:07 PM

My computer just got diagnosed with a bad hard drive (it's brand new btw) but it was not even turning on when I sent it in so can a bad hard drive cause the computer not even to start? Cause that did not make sense to me. Shouldn't the bios come up at least?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 06:55 PM

The answer to this question is....It depends on what is wrong with the hard drive.

It could be disk damage related, which, if the drive is NEW, is very rare.

But what isn't rare and would make a difference is if the hard drive has electrical problems, such as short circuits that would in turn, affect the power supply.

Were you told in what way the hard drive is bad?

Bad or damaged disks wouldn't cause the computer not to start up however.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 DerBear89

DerBear89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:34 PM

Yeah they just said it was a bad hard drive they didn't tell menhow thy deduced that but I would like to know. I think I'm still under warranty

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:33 AM

What is the computer doing? even with a bad hard drive, it should be able to boot up to your BIOS.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,729 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:13 AM

I've certainly seen a faulty hard drive prevent a computer from starting up - a short circuit on one of the supply rails.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:07 PM

I've certainly seen a faulty hard drive prevent a computer from starting up - a short circuit on one of the supply rails.

Exactly.

I have seen a few drives out there that had soldering defects or faulty electronic components that short out the power supply.

This can include both optical drives and hard drives.

A new drive should resolve this issue either way.

If the problem is repeated with a new drive, there may be a short somewhere inside your computer.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:20 PM

Ditto. Been through that.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users