Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hacker Extorted Teenage Girls with a Webcam Trojan

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:16 PM

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2010/november/web-of-victims/web-of-victims

The hacker knew every move the unsuspecting victim made. He controlled her computer webcam and microphone. He could see her in her bedroom, hear her conversations, knew every keystroke she made online. And he threatened to expose her secrets unless she bowed to his demands.

It may sound like the plot for a scary teen movie, but it actually happened, and there wasn’t just one victim—there were more than 200, and dozens of them were adolescent girls.

--snip--

After the hacker infected one computer, he used a popular social networking site—and a technique called “spear phishing”—to spread the virus. “It was a social engineering attack,” said Special Agent Tanith Rogers, co-investigator on the case. “The victims were tricked. They had no idea what had happened until it was too late.”

In several instances, the hacker posed online as a young woman’s friend or sister and sent messages with attachments asking if the victim wanted to see a scary video. Because the messages appeared to be from a trusted source, the victims usually didn’t think twice about opening the attachment. When they did, the virus secretly installed itself, and the hacker had total control over their computers—including all files and folders, webcams, and microphones.

Creepy b@$%ard.... :ranting:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ABNINF

ABNINF

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:14 AM

What the hell is wrong with people.

KC

#3 HydroLar

HydroLar

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:15 AM

At the risk of being too cynical, people never surprise me anymore. At least this guy was finally caught. When I read the news story this was the scary part...

“If he hadn’t attempted to contact the victims,” Agent Rogers said, “he could have done this forever and gone undetected—the victims would never have known he was listening and watching. That,” she added, “is one of the most disturbing things about this case.”
Posted Image

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

#4 ABNINF

ABNINF

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:51 PM

At the risk of being too cynical, people never surprise me anymore. At least this guy was finally caught. When I read the news story this was the scary part...

“If he hadn’t attempted to contact the victims,” Agent Rogers said, “he could have done this forever and gone undetected—the victims would never have known he was listening and watching. That,” she added, “is one of the most disturbing things about this case.”

I don't know what's creepier ... the fact that he could have kept doing it or the fact that he made contact. Lord have mercy.

I'm cynical in certain areas but overall have a good outlook on humanity. I'm always surprised by stories like this.

KC

#5 fgeelo

fgeelo

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:00 PM

How the hell does a computer get this vulnerable to be able to be controlled so much? How does a hacker so easily control a webcam and a microphone without the users knowledge? Something just sounds fishy about this

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:24 PM

They don't even need to be infected. School used student laptop webcams to spy on them

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 CrimsonSpider

CrimsonSpider

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:07 AM

Wow,
Just think what emotional distress these girls went through.
They should burn him with his crappy windows 95' OS.
To learn the techniques of hacking is fine, but for educational purposes only.
Anything more, and the police will shoot you down like a dog in the field.

CrimsonSpider
"Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job."
(Mosher’s Law of Software Engineering)

#8 Photoshop is a lie.

Photoshop is a lie.

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:53 AM

I've heard about this. There was one case with a hacker that made the victim eat their own panties on a webcam with blackmail. :( The world is scary. O.O

#9 T1000

T1000

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2011 - 01:31 PM

This is when you would like to get out your boots and kick these Bast&@*~ in the Balls !!! I'll settle for punching them in the Face ! :thumbup2: Bunch a low lifes !! Get a life you PERVERTS !!
1.) HP Pavilion DV 9230us, 17" Laptop, Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32-Bit , Intel Dual Core T5500 1.66 GHz , 100GB Dual HD, 200 GB Total HDD, 2 GB Ram DDR2, WD 1TB external HDD, My Book Essential.

2.) Dell Inspiron 1764 17" Laptop, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit, Intel Dual Core i5 2.53 GHz w/Turbo Boost Technology, (3MB cache) Media Graphics Accelerator, 500 GB HDD, 4 GB Ram DDR3, Western Digital 1TB external HDD, My Book Essential.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users