Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install Vista SP2

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 padthwee

padthwee

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:51 PM

Computer, Dell Inspiron 530 running Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit, has been randomly crashing (not my computer) for about 2 mos. I got involved and noticed that SP2 had not been installed. Tried to install SP2, would not install; various responses included many BSODs.
Have done just about every virus/malware scan, nothing found.
Did some research and decided to try to install the Windows Readiness Tool. Had crashes with that, tried editing msconfig and now my latest error message is "LZ expansion utility has stopped working"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:25 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 padthwee

padthwee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 02:06 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Btjx4nPfiQ0HGLGRXHLEXKR

Hope that's it

#4 padthwee

padthwee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:48 AM

Also noticed that Java was not updating either, so I tried to clear temp files/cache -> crash. Then tried to update the latest Java -> crash. Then tried to uninstall old Java -> locked up and had to 3 finger restart.

Don't know if anyone can help with this mess, sure would appreciated it.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:11 PM

Can you bring up Windows Updates?

#6 snowghost

snowghost

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:32 PM

Just from my experince and some 32 million others SP2 for vista has been a bigger dupe than vista it's self, micro has no clue as to how the craped up vista so bad, you can get a $50 upgrade to win7, your best option, or you can spend months and countless hours trying to fix this and still end up going win 7
Vista is way worse than Mulitim every was

Edited by snowghost, 08 November 2010 - 03:38 PM.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:38 PM

Those 32 million people have no idea what they are they talking about. SP2 is about the greatest thing that happened to Vista. After installation of SP2 you are now able to get DirectX 11 support on Windows Vista which was only exclusive to Windows 7 at the time of release. SP2 also included a number of performance increasing changes as well.

SO please cite your reliable sources of information.

I have Vista SP2 and I have no issues what so ever, and i can conjure up more people as well who have no issues.

#8 Yellowmongoose

Yellowmongoose

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:05 PM

I have Vista SP2 and I have no issues what so ever, and i can conjure up more people as well who have no issues.

I'm having no problems with Vista SP2. Quite like it in fact. Cryptodan managed to conjure me up without even trying.

#9 padthwee

padthwee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:31 PM

Bleeping Advisor- it does some updates, but not the critical ones. It's screwed up from that bad update some time ago and is hopeless.
I spoke to a man in the know today and he advised me to stop wasting my time on it as it will never be right. He advised either clean installing Vista SP2 or Win 7.
To be honest, I would much rather clean install XP and not have to deal with these VISTA/Win 7 issues. I think they both stink as OS and, if I have to stay w/Microsoft, I prefer XP. Just not looking forward to dealing with driver issues.

Has anybody out there done a downgrade from Vista to XP?

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:43 PM

What bad update are you talking about? I have received all the updates that other Vista users have gotten, and my machine is stable, clean, and reliable.

If you are having issues installing critical updates, then you maybe infected. Also that man in the know doesn't know anything.

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Once you have created the new topic, please reply back here with a link to the new topic.

#11 padthwee

padthwee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:03 AM

I appreciate your offer of help, but I agree with snowghost on this one.
This is not my computer, so I don't have access to perform any other scans/etc, nor would I want to aggravate myself any further. It is the most frustrating computer issue I have ever encountered and I have been working with computers for over 30 yrs. Just ridiculous. Would not be using any MS products if I didn't have to.
Check this out re: one of Windows corrupting updates:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/e5b1beee-2deb-42de-8112-987b8a3b5e9f

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:14 AM

Whose computer is this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users