Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus or Malware?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Mdenton45

Mdenton45

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:46 PM

Hello,
I could use some help removing a nasty. The computer that has the problem is running XP Home SP3. When using Firefox, I have been getting random redirects and sometimes a pop up message that says "Wait a minute! This is important - we check your device - Mozilla Firefox. In the pop up window it also shows an ip address. After this it opens up a fake looking Windows Security screen which pretends to scan the computer and then prompts you to download an .exe file.

The computer had Avast Antivirus on it and when I scanned the computer after this found several files that were all similar to Win32:Fake AV-AVL (Drp) I have tried running MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware on the computer. After both programs installed, they would not start or run. I had to rename them to get them to start and scan.

The update function did not work on either though and said there was no internet connection even though I can get online. This happens both in safe mode with networking and normal mode. I disabled the windows firewall to ensure that was not preveting them from connecting. I eventually updated MBam manually and scanned. I have logs for both if it would help.

I would assume the virus/malware is preventing the update features from working. I also tried removing Avast (successful) and installing AVG Free 2011 but it will not install due to not being able to connect to the net.

Any suggestions?

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users