Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is Safest and secure Email client for Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scrypt

scrypt

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:05 PM

Hello all

I have recently reformatted my HDD and re-installed Windows 7.
I would like to have some suggestions and help on deciding what Email client I should use.

I have used Thunderbird Email client for a few years now and I must admit I'm relatively happy with it.
But I know software technology has moved on. and I always like to see and maybe try differing software alternatives.

What is the safest most secure Email client to use on Windows 7 ?
Windows live mail 2011 has not long been released, and I am wondering whether to give it a try instead of Thunderbird.
Or should I stick with Thunderbird becuase using anything other than Thunderbird could compromise my systems security by using anything other than Thunderbird for my Email.
Or are there any other freeware alternatives to Thunderbird or Windows Live mail 2011. That I am not aware of that are safer and better than the two above Email clients ?

I would also like some advice on choosing what email server settings to use. What are the fundamental difference between POP and IMAP Email server settings.
and why is there an option to choose either one ?
Is one safer then the other. If so which one ? Which one should I use, if I use one PC with various email addresses from various Email providers such as Gmail, GMX, and Windows Live Mail ?

After searching online for an answer I have decided to ask here for some clear advice.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:52 PM

You made a good choice with Thunderbird. :thumbup2:

As far as safety and security goes, using computers period is a security risk. Your information is never 100% safe all the time. Vulnerabilities are always being found, and software is always being updated. It's a never-ending cycle. One email client versus another...there isn't much to compare really.

Most email providers allow for encryption between the server and your computer (to keep your emails from being read by someone else). You simply have to choose the right settings.

I have never used another email client, so I can't advise on any good free alternatives. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-mail_clients

Here are the main differences between IMAP and POP:

POP is a one-way download (of new emails only) from the email server to your email client. When you delete an email in your client, it stays on the server. When you send an email in your client, it does not get put in the Sent folder on the server. Server > computer only

IMAP has more features in the fact that it pulls everything from the server (including email folders) and syncs everything back to the server. When you send an email in Gmail for example, it will show up in the Sent folder in your webmail (Gmail in your internet browser). Everything goes both ways. Whatever you do in webmail is reflected in your client, and vice-versa.

IMAP is better if you switch between webmail and your email cleint a lot and need everything to stay synced. Some email providers don't have IMAP, though, so POP is your only option if that is the case (I know Juno doesn't have IMAP, which is why I switched to Gmail).

Does that answer your questions? :)
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:15 AM

Generally, security problems do not originate in the E-mail application you use, but in the contents of the E-mails you download. Most E-mail clients will scan E-mails and identify spam; in addition to these protections at the source, assuring any E-mails you download are read in plain text and are scanned by your resident anti-virus are prudent and will go a long way towards keeping your computer secure. Equally as important is to treat ANY downloaded E-mail cautiously as a potential threat.

I use Tb not only for its features, but with the realisation that the Mozilla folks issue security patches for their applications quickly.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 scrypt

scrypt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:45 AM

Thank-you for your concise replies.

You gave me the info I needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users