Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown IP address connected to my computer...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LilJohnAY

LilJohnAY

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:59 AM

I log onto my computer this morning to receive a message from Comodo Firewall saying "New Private Network Detected! 169.254.209.146/255.255.0.0"

I have never seen this IP in my life and after looking it up, I found it is coming from Washington D.C. - I live in NJ.

In my home network I have my Windows XP computer, two Windows 7 laptops, a Windows XP laptop, an iPad, my Xbox-360, and my Nintendo Wii.

Forgive me, for I am not very knowledgeable on these kinds of things.

So what I would like to know is:
1) How did this computer connect to mine??
2) What can I do to disconnect my computer from this other random Network??
3) What can I do to keep my computer unable to connect to these random networks??

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:32 PM

169.254.X.X is a local only IP (same as 192.168.X.X). You may want to scan your PC's (all of them, not just the one that had the alert) with anti virus/malware software to make sure you're safe.

No idea how you got Washington D.C from the lookup. I even ran a look up on it, and it showed it was link-local by ARIN.

http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-169-254-0-0-1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users