Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

missing ini file in windows 98 se

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 sweets

sweets

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:23 AM

somehow this file is missing and i get an erroe message every time on startup telling me to reinstall nortons av to find the missing file, but i dont have the nortons cd anymore nor do i want it on my system, how do i completely uninstall nortons, i tried in safe mode but it says i need the disk. i dont want to wipe out the hd and start over

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,610 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:25 AM

Use this tool: http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:15 PM

HEY THANKS FOR THE NEAT TOOL IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!! now if i could just get my gmail account in windows xp to work this well it would be great

Edited by sweets, 06 November 2010 - 01:16 PM.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,610 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 03:58 PM

Good news :)
What's wrong with your Gmail account?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:00 PM

Ever since I loaded IE8 (because I was forced to I might add) the gmail account does not load properly and asks me to load the basic HTML for slow connections, (I'm using dialup), whereas before when I had IE6 the page always loaded properly. I tried turning off chat and turning off buzz but I'm still forced to use basic HTML

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,610 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:11 PM

I'm not sure, why this is in Windows 98 forum.
We're talking Windows XP here, right?

IE8 is much more complicated tool, than IE6, so this mat be a reason, especially with dial-up connection.
See, if Firefox, or Chrome will give you same problem.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:30 PM

Some Gmail features have failed to load due to an Internet connectivity problem. If this problem persists, try reloading the page, using https, or using the basic HTML version. Learn More.
OK

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,610 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:34 PM

It looks like your slow connection is the issue.
Did you try a different browser. I don't think, it'll matter, but it's a free try :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 04:20 AM

now after all the ushing and pressuure to goto ie8 you tell me to go to a different browser, you are all guessing here

#10 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:52 AM

He Broni,
getting back to the original topic re: windows 98 system, ever since i removed remanant of Norton via the removal tool you pointed me to i'm getting error messages:
"The program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" this pops up shortly after windows opens.
In addition my compact disc play no longer works. The autorun feature does not recognize any cds in its tray, and when i go to my computer i see the cd there on the D Drive, click on it open it, both nothing will play on the cd and i get another error message, "The program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" the details of which say EXPLORER caused a general protection fault in module LZEXPAND.dll at..." tried scandisk but that did not repair the problem just got stuck at some point
What can I do about this I never had it before and the D Drive always worked?

Edited by sweets, 07 November 2010 - 08:56 AM.

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,610 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:42 AM

now after all the ushing and pressuure to goto ie8 you tell me to go to a different browser, you are all guessing here

I do NOT consider the above as a polite reply.
I didn't pressure you to anything.

Once more, what is your Windows version? 98, or XP?
If 98, IE8 is not compatible with Windows 98.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:06 AM

sorry for the quick temper its just my frustration showing, windows 98 se, if i cant fix the problem i'll have to partition and reinstall windows 98se and all my programs something i dont wish to do if not necessary but all functions now seem to bring out the illegal operation error messaage now
getting back to the original topic re: windows 98 system, ever since i removed remanant of Norton via the removal tool you pointed me to i'm getting error messages:
"The program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" this pops up shortly after windows opens.
In addition my compact disc play no longer works. The autorun feature does not recognize any cds in its tray, and when i go to my computer i see the cd there on the D Drive, click on it open it, both nothing will play on the cd and i get another error message, "The program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" the details of which say EXPLORER caused a general protection fault in module LZEXPAND.dll at..." tried scandisk but that did not repair the problem just got stuck at some point
What can I do about this I never had it before and the D Drive always worked

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,610 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:26 AM

Internet Explorer 8 is not compatible with Windows 98. I even don't know how you're able to install it.
The last version compatible with Win 98 is IE 6.
It's an outdated and unsecure browser.
That's another reason to use another browser, like Firefox, or Chrome.

You're getting the above errors, when doing what?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#14 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:53 AM

No No No Broni, that was another computer i was talking about, i thought that the Norton removal tool you pointed me to fixed my windows 98se computer but it just got rid of the norton antivirus program and gave me a new problem, the computer below has IE6 not IE8 and now keeps giving me the following error message:

"The program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" this pops up shortly after windows 98 opens.
In addition my compact disc play no longer works. The autorun feature does not recognize any cds in its tray, and when i go to my computer i see the cd there on the D Drive, click on it open it, both nothing will play on the cd and i get another error message, "The program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" the details of which say EXPLORER caused a general protection fault in module LZEXPAND.dll at..." tried scandisk but that did not repair the problem just got stuck at some point.
What can I do about this I never had it before and the D Drive always worked

#15 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,610 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:00 PM

"The program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" this pops up shortly after windows 98 opens.

Does it say, which program?

It's been years, since I used Windows 98, so I'm not sure, if I'll be able to help you out here.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users