Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A few problems with old dell dimension XPS T500

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shiv89

shiv89

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:10 AM

I'm running an old Dell desktop, dimension XPS T500, which came with Windows ME once upon a time. I installed XP after digging the computer out but am having a few problems apart from the obvious slow pace it runs at.

The most annoying is the system shutdown (NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM). the dialog box says the problem is caused by c:\windows\system32\lsass.exe so I initially thought it was a worm but I ran FxSasser and it came up with nothing.

Another problem is that the sound service turns itself off nearly every time the computer is restarted so I have to run services.msc and start the service every time this happens.

Yet another problem is that my flash doesn't seem to work properly. Apparently I have the most recent version but if go to play flash games or anything, it tells me I need to install flash.

Last problem(I think) is that the plugin-container when using Firefox often encounters and error and "needs to close" Although I've given up on Firefox at the moment and am using Opera, its still bugging me.

If anyone has any ideas about any of these things, I would appreciate it greatly. I'm sorry if I didn't post this in the right section, I'm not sure where it should go.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:31 AM

The most annoying is the system shutdown

Are you getting any BSOD, or it just shuts down?

Yet another problem is that my flash doesn't seem to work properly

Uninstall Flash, using this tool: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html
Install fresh copy.

plugin-container can be safely disabled: http://www.technogadge.com/how-to-stop-firefox-plugin-container-exe-process/

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 shiv89

shiv89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:18 PM

No BSOD, just a small dialog box that won't close, it gives me 60 seconds then reboots the computer. I forgot to mention that usually after this happens,when the computer starts up again my avast is either switched off or some of the services are disabled.

Thanks very much with the help, I will try to reinstall flash now.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:39 PM

If you stop the automatic restart an error message will appear rather that restarting. When this happens please post the exact message back in this topic.

Here is how to stop the automatic restarts.

Press and hold F8 when the computer is beginning to start up to access the Advanced Boot Options and click on Disable auto restart on error.

Of, if your computer stays on long enough go to Start> right click on My Computer> Properties> Advanced> Startup and Recovery. Under startup and Recovery click on Settings, uncheck the box in Automatically restart under System failure.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:44 PM

it gives me 60 seconds then reboots the computer

You may be infected.

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:46 PM

plugin-container can be safely disabled: http://www.technogadge.com/how-to-stop-firefox-plugin-container-exe-process/

Plugin-Container is now how Firefox handles the loading and running of plugins. It will not be loaded until you need to run a plugin such like Flash.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:05 PM

plugin-container is not a crucial part of Firefox and, unfortunately, is known for causing problems and excessive RAM usage.
I have it disabled in my Firefox.

My Website

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:31 PM

I agree with Broni about still being infected
Every time I have seen the NT Authority System shutdown it has been a bug

Our malware people are top notch but very busy so please be patient
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users