Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP New Tricks

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:04 AM

Thanks, I'm gonna use that tweak.

Re: I`m a Power User, so there are a couple other tweaks I use which may or may not suit your style of usage.

I'm not a power user, but am very interested in learning "new tricks" :lol: If you care to share a few (dozen), I'd enjoy reading them. If you like, you could send them via PM, so we'll stop cluttering up this forum & hijacking threads... :whistle: :nono: :P

Edited by hamluis, 06 November 2010 - 09:40 AM.
Split from XP unrelated topic ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:33 AM

Since Scubatony`s question seem`s to have been resolved I see no problem in continuing in this thread. It does still have to do with Java.

Two other changes I make. Control Panel > Java > Advanced tab > expand the + by Miscellaneous. Remove the check mark next to Java Quick Starter. This is a feature that was added to enable faster launching of Java when it is being used on a web page. I have noticed little to no difference by disabling it.

This next one I`m sure is controversial so be aware. I disable Java automatic updates. Java > Update tab > remove the check mark from Check for Updates Automatically. I then go to msconfig and remove the check mark from jusched.exe. OK the change. Restart the machine. When the machine is restarted place a check mark in the box that will pop up to never show this again.

These changes are easily reversed by just replacing the check marks removed should you change your mind or experience any problems.

Overall, these two changes will probably not cause you to see any difference in your PCs performance. Some will say not to disable auto updates for Java as it may leave you open to exploits. It does require a bit of additional vigilance on your part to be aware when Java does issue an update.

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:25 PM

...Some will say not to disable auto updates for Java as it may leave you open to exploits. It does require a bit of additional vigilance on your part to be aware when Java does issue an update.

Not so controversial, IMO, I also disable auto-update in the Java CPL, also the other you mentioned (Quick Starter) but I use Sysinternals' Autoruns to disable the jusched.exe startup entry (Autoruns Screenshot, just "Untick" the checkmark next to the jusched.exe entry) & I also uncheck the "Place icon in the system tray" in CPL>>JAVA>>Advanced>>Miscellaneous.

Posted Image

As for the addl vigilance you mentioned, I do not let ANYTHING auto-update on my machines, too many bad guys spoofing "legit" programs (Fake AV's & such) to feel secure in doing so. I regularly scan for WinDOZE updates, use FileHippo's Update Checker for software updates and Secunia's PSI for security updates.

Edited by Union_Thug, 06 November 2010 - 05:26 PM.

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 02:06 PM

...Forgot to add, I disable the Java BHO (jp2ssv.dll) in Internet Ex-PLODE-r, and it actually seems to IMPROVE performance rather than hinder it. :hysterical:

Open IE>>Tools>>Manage Add-ons>>Toolbars & extensions>>Currently loaded add-ons>> Disable Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper.

With Autoruns, you can uncheck the startup entry in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects= c:\program files (x86)\java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll and it won't load at all. Of course I rarely use Internet Ex-PLODE-r so the performance gain is negligible to me personally.

Posted Image

Edited by Union_Thug, 06 November 2010 - 02:13 PM.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:47 PM

We run a lot of the things the same. Only my AV and HIPS program auto-update. All other`s are shut-off or disabled. Sole exception is Flash. I have it set it to check at the maximum time intervals possible. Flash Control Panel

The second Tuesday of every month is Windows official update day. Unless a critical out of band update is released. I run with the updates turned off and the updates service disabled. Until\unless I manually check for them. IE is like the forgotten bad step-child on my machine. I go directly to Windows updates via the All Programs menu.
Should I need to use IE for any other reason then I launch it via a shortcut that launches it by default in Privacy mode.

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:48 PM

I was running w/ WinDOZE Updates set to "notify but don't install..." up until a few days ago, ONLY because I bought this laptop a month ago after my 5 yr old Dell 2200 laptop's HDD & CD-ROM died within a few days of each other and decided to try Micro$oft $ecurity E$ential$, which updates it's defs thru Windows Update...:thumbdown: ...and created a restore point w/ EVERY def update w/ no way to disable the restore point creation---filling my HDD with USELESS RP's. :angry: Anyway, I was none too impressed with M$E....yes it was "light" with fast scanning but it FAILED BIG-TIME with some dodgy sites I deliberately visited (in virtual PC) that my old AV, Avast 5 consistently blocked.:thumbsup:....uninstalled M$E a few days ago & I'm back to Avast.

Do you have any suggestions/tweaks for the settings under CPL >> Java >>Advanced >>General and Mixed code tabs? Mine are set w/ default settings & I admit they are a complete MYSTERY to me.
I'm posting a screenshot of my current settings in Win 7:

Posted Image
Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome and appreciated!:busy:

Edited by Union_Thug, 06 November 2010 - 10:51 PM.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:22 PM

I have never changed any of them.

So far so good. knocking on wood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users