Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not recognizing the full capacity of my HDD?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rei Santino

Rei Santino

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 06:19 AM

I apologize if this is in the wrong place. I'm not so sure it involves XP as much as it does my motherboard, so yeah...

I was recently given a 320 gigabyte HDD and when I went to clean install XP onto it, it only recognized 127-130 GBs of the harddrive. The HDD says "320 gigabytes" on it and all of the capacity was recognized on the person's computer who had it last.

I'm sure it's something to do with my computer setup...

Could someone help please? :(

Edit: I also wanted to mention that a clean Windows 7 installation behaves in the same way. It too only recognizes a portion of the HDD.

Edited by Rei Santino, 06 November 2010 - 06:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 06:28 AM

It looks like the motherboard in your computer doesn't implement the 48-bit LBA required to utilise hard drives larger than 128GB. Sometimes this can be corrected with a BIOS update.

What is the brand and model of your computer (if it's a brandname) or motherboard?

If you can't identify this information, you should be able to find out using a utility like SIW:

http://www.gtopala.com/

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Rei Santino

Rei Santino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 06:38 AM

My, what a quick reply! :)

I've used the program you recommended and exported the results into an HTML file: <link removed>. I do apologize for the length - I wasn't sure how to shorten it to tailor to my specific interests, which in this case I assume is the motherboard specs.

Thanks for your help and I apologize for not providing this information in the OP.

Edit: I'm also running "A07 BIOS revision," if that helps. I believe I recall updating the BIOS not too far back.

Edited by Rei Santino, 06 November 2010 - 08:59 PM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,730 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 07:44 AM

The SIW report gives a lot of information about your system, if you don't want that public you might like to remove the link now. As far as I can determine, a Dell GX270 at BIOS revision A07 should implement 48 bit LBA.

What Service Pack level was the initial XP installation you did? Original Windows XP did not implement 48 bit LBA and will only create a partition up to the size limit of 28 bit LBA. If the first XP installation was not SP1 or higher, the subsequent Windows 7 install might have re-used that partition.

Now that XP SP3 is installed, does any unallocated space appear in Disk Management?

Edited by Platypus, 06 November 2010 - 07:50 AM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:37 PM

THat motherboard supports 48bit LBA, and the issue is probably there is a jumper set on the drive limiting the capacity.

I would recommend looking at the drive for any jumpers on the drive, and use of the Western Digital Drive Prep Tool.

If that doesn't work, then you can flash the BIOS to the most recent version:

Pertinent Information:

Manufacturer 	Dell Computer Corp.
Model 	0DG286
Serial Number 	..CN6986141V4298.

North Bridge 	Intel i865P/PE/G/i848P Revision A2
South Bridge 	Intel 82801EB (ICH5) Revision A2

CPU 	Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Cpu Socket 	Socket 478 mPGA

System Slots 	1 PCI, 1 AGP

Memory Summary 	 
Maximum Capacity 	4096 MBytes
Memory Slots 	2
Error Correction 	None

Warning! 	Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,730 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 05:14 PM

I had wondered about clipping, but the OP stated the full size was recognised in the previous computer.

#7 Rei Santino

Rei Santino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:38 PM

I see cryptodan, but before I get into that computer case (it's quite difficult to get the HDD back into the case once I take it out), I just wanted to post this screenshot in response to Platypus' post:

Posted Image

I did in fact install the XP without a service pack. The disk I used to install it was a Version 2002 one, so I think you may be right on the money about that.

Edited by Rei Santino, 06 November 2010 - 09:41 PM.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,730 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:42 PM

Yes, the drive just has a single 128GiB partition on it. Windows XP can't extend its own system partition. You can either create a second 170GiB volume (partition) or if the drive can be connected to a Windows 7 system, the 128GiB C: partition can be expanded to fill the drive. (I'd use two partitions myself.)

The partition could also be extended using third party software, like GParted, Ranish Partition Manager or Paragon Partition Manager Free Edition.

#9 Rei Santino

Rei Santino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:45 AM

I appreciate the assistance, and fast responses.

Instead of merging the partitions I just created a new one out of the unallocated space and installed a new OS onto it so that I can dual boot and still access all the files on both partitions - it's rather convienent. :)

But yes, thanks a gazillion for the help. I am in your debt.

Regards,
Rei

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:30 PM

Glad you found a use for the second partition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users