Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mobile as computer modem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nuic

nuic

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:48 AM

hi guys
i was trying to connect my old computer somehow to internet
and i heard that is possible to connect on internet over mobile
so i can put setting on my mobile but not on computer
on old comp. i have win xp, so if you can help me please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:27 PM

I don't think that is possible.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:43 AM

It is possible to make your Internet connection with Bluetooth technology. This explains what is needed and how to use it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:48 PM

This is certainly possible!

You are using Windows XP?

What kind of phone do you have?

Blackberry or Android works best...
for3ver,
goose90proof

#5 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:08 PM

its called tethering, correct?
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#6 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:58 PM

Yes, tethering...

Technically, it's not illegal as you aren't changing the phone or using your connection to the net any differently, just routing it to a different client.

I've used tethering on Android extensively and it works very well. I used to have an HTC Hero which only supports wired tethering (phone as modem) but newer models such as the Droid X (it's awesome) support wireless tethering (phone as router).

Unfortunately, I cannot discuss the means by which wireless tethering is achieved on the Droid X as it would be a breach of the terms here on BC.

I can however tell you how to achieve wired tethering as it does not involve modification to the phone...

Go to this website... My link

Here, you will be able to download a free or paid version of PDANet. PDANet is a tethering application for smart phones. It works for certain versions of iPhone, Android, Blackberry, Windows Mobile and a few others.

Click on the icon associated with your phone/operating system type and you will be taken to the appropriate page. Confirm that the app supports your operating system version and download the app to your computer.

You will also need to download PDANet from the marketplace.

NOTE: I've only done this for Android so I do not know if it is on the Apple Marketplace. I'm not sure how to do it for Blackberry or Windows Mobile either.
A google search will most likely reveal anything you need for non-Android users.

The free version will only allow you to visit HTTPS websites for 10 days but you can access HTTP websites all day long! The paid version allows you to access both HTTP and HTTPS unlimitedly. The app is relatively cheap for what it does and I recommend coughing up the cash for it as it is a GREAT APP and you'll be supporting the people who WORKED REALLY HARD to produce it.

Once you have downloaded PDANet on your computer and your phone, you are ready to start tethering.

Use the usb cable that came with your phone and connect it to the computer.

Enable USB Debugging on your phone.

On the phone, launch the PDANet application and press the Enable USB Tethering button. This app will run in the background so once you've started the process you can back out of this. Just don't forget to turn it off when you're done as it will consume resources even while not in use.

Now that the phone is ready to tether, start the PDANet app on your computer (PDANet should already be running and can be accessed through a tray icon in the system tray. The system tray is in the bottom right hand corner of your Desktop by the clock.)

Click the PDANet icon in the system tray and select the Start Tethering option

The first time you do this, it will take a few moments while it installs the driver. If it can't find one, you can download the driver from your phone manufacturers website and put it anywhere (the desktop is fine).

There, you are now connected to the Internet using your phone as a modem.

NOTE: The phone must be ready to tether before the computer is. If you ever have a problem getting it to work. Try turning PDANet off on both computer and phone, unplug the phone from the computer, Enable USB Tethering, reconnect the phone to the computer and then Enable Internet Connection on the computer.
for3ver,
goose90proof

#7 nuic

nuic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 03:24 PM

thank you all for respond
but my mobile isn't android or iphone it is sonny ericson w705 and he have wifi tehnology
and from that wifi i want to connect to my router
so is there any other program that i connect my mobile with computer?

#8 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:44 AM

With that phone, you will be unable to use it to take internet from your router, pass it through the phone and on to the computer. Simply won't do.

If you want to hook up your computer to the internet using your router........... use your router. If your computer is not wireless, use an ethernet cable to run from the back of the router to the computer. If your router does not have more than 1 ethernet port, it is called an access point and you will need a new router to hook up your old computer to the web.
for3ver,
goose90proof

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users