Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Fluctuates Between 48 and 100 Degrees and Fan Spins Like Crazy

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:10 AM

Have a compaq presario v2000 laptop. The laptop fluctuated a great deal in its temperature reading, and would shut down every fifteen minutes. The temp, which I find by running speedfan, fluctuates between 48 and 100. I thought it was just that the heatsink outlet was clogged up, so I opened up the laptop, cleaned out the fan from any dirt, blew it out with compressed air, and removed a layer of dirt and dust that clogged up the heatsink outlet.

But the laptop still fluctuates between those temperatures and I dont understand what else to do. Please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:11 AM

did the heat sink look ok? was it fitting on there cleanly?

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:18 AM

One other question. Where is the lap top setting when you are using it?

Lap tops are probably one of the most misnamed appliances that ever existed. If it is being used on any soft surface then the air vents located on the bottom and sides are likely being blocked. If that is the case then the fan can run as fast and long as it likes. It will be unable to provide proper cooling.

#4 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:49 AM

Thunderz,
I have my laptop always sitting on hard surfaces like a tabletop. And I make sure there is plenty of space around for ventilation. So thats no tit, I feel there is some dust and dirt somewhere in the assembly that I didnt clean out because i didnt see it. Is there any other place other than the heatsink out take and the fan blades?

Thrillhouse, yes the heatsink looks good and it fits snugly as well.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:57 AM

:thumbup2: That is the proper way to use a lap top. But rules out my thought. :(

Are you doing anything, running any particular programs at the time of temperature fluctuation, shut-down?

Edited by ThunderZ, 06 November 2010 - 10:57 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:49 AM

I feel there is some dust and dirt somewhere in the assembly that I didnt clean out because i didnt see it. Is there any other place other than the heatsink out take and the fan blades?

When you cleaned the inside did you remove the fan and heat sink to clean them?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:41 PM

thunderz, i just run the normal things like the antivirus, maybe open the browser, stuff like that

dc3, Yes I physically removed the fan and the heatsink and blew out the dust wherever I could see it. But is there somewhere inside that I cannot see that could be clogged

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:41 AM

There's your problem. Any time that you remove the heat sink and fan from the CPU you need to clean the heat spreader on the CPU and the surface of the heat sink that mates to it and reapply thermal compound.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:50 AM

I have also noticed that my laptop Hard Drive sometimes gets too hot. Would reapplying the thermal paste to the CPU/Heatsink also have the effect of keeping the hard drive cool in addition to letting the heat from the cpu go out through the heatsink? Im thinking that the heat from the cpu is also making the hard drive heat up, could this be true?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:04 AM

In a laptop, absolutely. Replace the thermal compound and see what difference it makes.

#11 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:56 PM

Thanks,

I replaced the compound once and it did lower the laptop temperature but the hard drive still kept getting hot. Maybe I didnt put enough. Ill post back and let you know what happens

#12 Socratesx

Socratesx

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:15 AM

You can also get a laptop base with a fan that will cool you laptop's bottom. Something like that http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834991055&cm_re=laptop_bases-_-34-991-055-_-Product
My Blog for Computer Beginners : Buy a New Computer
My Rig:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P DQ6 | CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.4Ghz | Video Card: Sapphire ATI 4870x2 |
RAM: 2x2GB OCZ Reaper DDR2-1066 | Hard Drives: 4xSeagate 7200.12 2TB | OS: Win 7 x64 | PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850W

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users