Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free up space with Treesize

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:43 PM

Treesize is a program that lets you see a graph of the space being used on your computer so you know what is taking up space.

I just freed up 3.79 GB of space that I desperately need by deleting itunes temp files and google desktop cache. Without treesize, since it was a series of small files and not one big one, I couldn't figure out what to delete.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:58 PM

A link: :)
http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 T Simon

T Simon

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:03 AM

Do you have to install something? How does it work?

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:43 AM

you install the program and then run it and scan the C drive. Then it shows bar graphs of what files are taking up all the room.

#5 DDave64

DDave64

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:06 AM

WinDirStat (Windows Directory Statistics) is a good program for that as well. :thumbup2:

http://windirstat.info/

Plus there's nothing to install. Just run the downloaded executable.

It also works on network drives which is really nice. :thumbsup:

Dave

#6 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:59 PM

Are you sure? It asked me to install the program.

#7 JosiahK

JosiahK

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:15 AM

I like JDiskReport, because the Pie chart graphic display is much more appropriate and easier to read for comparative sizes than the bar chart format of tree size.
Quod non mortiferum, fortiorem me facit.
I don't read minds. Please help everyone by answering any questions and reporting on the results of any instructions. Query any concerns and explain problems or complications.

#8 DDave64

DDave64

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:28 PM

Are you sure? It asked me to install the program.

You're right. It looks like the latest version is a setup file. The version I downloaded was a zip file that extracted all the files to a single directory and ran the executable from there.

Dave

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:52 PM

1.1.2 (the setup from the .zip files is NO LONGER supported - use the installer instead)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/windirstat/files/

There are also .zip file downloads (1.1.2 and older) available from the above link.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:47 PM

I use Disk Space Reporter, myself. However, it doesn't present any shiny pie charts.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users