Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1 Network, 2 Internet connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chris1010

Chris1010

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:31 PM

I live out in the country where I had to get the lovely Wildblue. I've got two houses on the property that I want to split into two different internet connections (because of FAP yet have the same network for file/printer sharing.

Current setup:
Wildblue 1 on 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 dd-wrt router serving 2 desktops with statics and 2 laptops DHCP along with network printers

Wildblue 2 on 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0 dd-wrt router serving 3 desktops 3 laptops and printers all DHCP

One of the PC's (XP) I am running dual nics to share files with for now. The problem I have is connecting to computers/printers from one side to the other. I don't want to put everything (laptops) on static because of portability.

I don't want to load balance. All i want to do is split up the internet connections between house 1 & house 2 yet be on the same network.

Let me know if more info is needed or what I can do.

Edited by Chris1010, 05 November 2010 - 11:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:39 AM

I'm going to clairify just to be sure I understand what you are wanting to do here.
1. You have a wildblue connection coming to one of the houses.
2.You want to use two routers to split the connection between the two houses.
3. You have one PC with 2 NIC's that you want to be able to access from either house.
4. All computers should be on the same network.

If all of this is correct then this is what i would do.
1. change wild blue 2 IP address to 192.168.1.2 since unless you are trying keep one house from seeing the other there is no reason to have two networks.
2. Let every device run from DHCP. You will need to turn off the DHCP server on one of the routers and let the other handle all of this.

If you do this the 2 NIC's on the on computer will not be necessary since everyone will be on the same network.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Chris1010

Chris1010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:04 AM

Sorry. Had trouble thinking of how to explain.

House 1 has a wildblue connection.
House 2 has a wildblue connection.

I want to keep each house on their own wildblue connection so we have our own FAP to worry about but have one fully communicating lan.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:22 PM

Go to the router settings on router 1 and go to the advanced routing section. Add a static route for the other network. So on wild blue1 on you would use the IP 192.168.2.0 Subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.2.1 interface lan&wireless for the advanced routing settings then got to wild blue 2 and use IP 192.168.1.0 Subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.1 interface lan&wireless for the advanced router settings there.

You can still leave DHCP enabled on both sides since the broadcast requests will not forward to the other network. When mapping drives or printers use IP addresses instead of computer/printer names.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users