Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with a few things

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Andy20

Andy20

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:14 PM

I would be very appreciative if I could get advice on these issues, I'll start off with the first problem...

I had a big virus on my computer around 4 months ago, it was the security suite virus and it took me the best part of 5 hours to finally shift it. I deleted some registry values that I read were part of the security suite virus but i'm a bit worried that I may have deleted some registry that I didn't need to.

My computer hasn't been unexpectadly shutting down or anything to that extent but I have noticed that it seems to be slower these past few months, freezing sometimes and things taking longer to load. I have a quad core processor with 3GB ram so I don't see why it should freeze up when I just have simple programs running like Internet Explorer and MSN. I'm not playing any games or using memory chomping programs when it seems to freeze so I can't understand it.

Is there anyway that I can find out if I deleted some registry that I shouldn't have?

The 2nd problem I have is that I want to upgrade my computer from 3GB of ram to 4GB but I have a 32bit Vista OS and I read that 3GB is the most a 32bit OS will handle, is that true? My computer has a Denver 10 motherboard and will take upto 8GB of ram according to the manual but some article I read seem to suggest that 32bit OS can't handle more than 3GB without going haywire.

Help would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:46 PM

<<Is there anyway that I can find out if I deleted some registry that I shouldn't have?>>

Not really, although "registry cleaner" programs seem to have purchasers/users thinking so. The registry changes all the time, based on what is installed/filed...I know of nothing that can tell a user accurately what should be...where it is not. Registry cleaners are devised for users who don't understand what it is that they think they want...don't understand the complexity of Windows...don't understand what the registry is.

Bleeping Computer does not recommend the use of such programs, for various reasons.
Demystifying the Windows Registry - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/demystifying-the-windows-registry/#backup

Windows Registry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Registry

Windows registry information for advanced users - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986

If registry errors don't result in catastrophic effects, I would suggest not thinking about them. When errors produce error messages, that's the time to worry about possibly making adjustments to the registry.

IMO, if you suspect that you have deleted necessary registry entries...best thing to do would be a repair install of XP.

<<I want to upgrade my computer from 3GB of ram to 4GB but I have a 32bit Vista OS and I read that 3GB is the most a 32bit OS will handle, is that true?>>

No...well, partially true :).

4GB is the routine max for a 32-bit O/S.

Memory Limits, Windows

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 06 November 2010 - 12:46 PM.

#3 Chris_Pool

Chris_Pool

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:40 AM

don't play commercial (store bought) games?

try Ubuntu. try it out through virtualbox or a live CD before you commit to a full or dual boot install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users