Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 1545 Freezes After Several Minutes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Honkey-Z

Honkey-Z

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:08 PM

About a week ago, I was stricken with a BSOD, can't remember the error code. After that, the computer ran like crap. Even in Safe Mode, it ran like crap, constant freezing after about a minute after boot up. I did a little research and found that registry errors can be responsible for this, so I ran a couple different registry cleaners and it seemed to have done the trick. A couple days later, it went back to running like crap.

I did a complete reinstall of Windows 7, and still runs like crap.

Every time I boot up in normal mode, after about five minutes, the computer freezes up. The mouse pointer still moves, but is unresponsive to function changes. Meaning, the pointer doesn't change from arrow to hand to I-beam, etc., and clicking does nothing. I don't even get the "(Not Responding)" tag in the title bar of the software. Ctrl+Alt+Del does next to nothing. The best result I get from it is a blank, black screen, and I have to shut down manually by holding down the power button, which is the case 100% of the time, black screen or not.

The computer runs perfectly fine in Safe Mode with Networking. I'm writing this post on it right now.

Someone suggested I remove one RAM stick at a time and test the computer with one RAM stick in, changing it from one slot to the next, then testing the other stick. Did that. No results.

It's a Dell Inspiron 1545, Pentium Dual Core T4-300, 2.10 GHz, 4.0 GB RAM, Windows 7 Home.

If someone can help me, I'll kill someone you want dead (not really, just kidding, but I will be grateful!). If you need more specs, let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:09 PM

so I ran a couple different registry cleaners

Bad idea. Never use them.
Registry tools are not recommended and here is why: http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/registry-cleaners-and-system-tweaking_13.html

I did a complete reinstall of Windows 7

Clean installation?
If so, we may be looking into some hardware problem.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Honkey-Z

Honkey-Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:40 AM

I've read some mixed things about reg cleaners, so researched them a little and found some that are more recommended than others.

And yes, a clean reinstall of Windows. Once I did that, and it still didn't work, I assumed it might be some hardware issue, which is why I tried the suggestion with the memory sticks. Any other ideas what it could be?

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:04 AM

Registry tool are NOT recommended at all. Period.
If you read at my link, you should know by now why.

Download System Information for Windows (SIW free version)
No installation required.

After it scans your computer, navigate to Hardware>Sensors and post all info from there.

Posted Image

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 kippaxman

kippaxman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:08 AM

Hi,

I have exactly the same issues as you have seen with your Dell freezing pages but the mouse still moving. Have tried re-installing OS but no change. Did you find a solution?

#6 bcoleinaz

bcoleinaz

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:17 AM

I am having the same freezing problem.
I have not done the clean windows install or done the memory swapping thing, but the same freezing symptoms - freezes after 5 minutes or so, but not freezing while in safe mode with networking. When it freezes, the mouse pointer is still visible and moves normally, but doesn't do anything when clicking.

#7 kippaxman

kippaxman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:47 AM

SOLUTION: A freind if mine ran an Hitachi diagnostic tool on the hard drive, I think he downloaded it from their website.This found some system errors & corrected them. Didn't have to wipe drive either & all is working perfect now. Good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users