Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it dying?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cv18sro

cv18sro

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:55 PM

I have a Dell desktop which I bought new about 6 years ago. I do moderate gaming, more if I had the time, and surf internet. It is a Pentium 4 3ghz. I dont remember the fsb speed but when I bought it, it was the fastest you could get from dell. It also has 1 gb ram and a ATI X600 512mb graphics card. 160bg HD SATA.

THe issue: I have noticed it getting progressively slower and slower. So in July I reformatted the hard drive and started over. It had been infected with a virtumonde worm back in April and it never worked right after fixing that. Since July I only put half my programs back on the computer and only have about 25% of the hard drive utilized. It ran pretty fast for about 2 or 3 weeks then it starting slowing way down again. One of the issues is I visit a web page and it takes forever to load, I am on 1.5mbps DSL. I checked my bandwidth and it is just over 1mb. When the pages are loading I can hear the hard drive grinding away like it is huge files trying to load. THe web sites are not that large. For example I visited Foxnews and it took a good 15 to 20 seconds to load the page. On my laptop it takes 3 to 5 seconds. That is a huge difference.

THis is what I have done and it has not helped, at least I have not noticed it. I diabled non essential files in msconfig. THe only thing on startup is AVAST, sound, and connection icon. I have run Malware Bytes twice (updated to current database) with no problems. Full AVAST scan, nothing. ATF cleaner run and then defragged. It did not need defragged by results on the analyze but I did it anyway. THe last thing I have done just now was a chkdsk /r and it found no problems.

I am just wondering if its old and wore out or if anyone has any other suggestions. I am not getting any errors but it just seems to be working alot harder than it use to load things.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:59 PM

It's probably just the normal...accretion of junk that users do.

I would try a clean install, followed by a judicious install only of useful, necessary programs...and use a startup manager to control the items which initiate at boot unnecessarily.

Increasing the RAM...will probably have the greatest impact, 1GB of RAM is OK...but bear in mind that laptops routinely come with 3GB of RAM or more these days.

Louis

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:29 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#4 cv18sro

cv18sro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:08 PM

Sorry was out of town on an emergency. At work toady and will get snapshot up tonight. I tried the clean install and it was faster for about a week or two then back to the way it was. Thanks for the suggestions

#5 cv18sro

cv18sro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:33 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/7qgeEHds9DnmFphAQO46bGj

#6 Digital Crisis

Digital Crisis

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:04 PM

Another thing that could be checked out is the hard drive....I'd run chkdsk or another HDD utility to find out the conditions of the drive. I personally recommend changing out the drive every 5-6 years as the life expectancy of a standard HDD is approximately 50,000 hours.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:26 PM

Well your video card is a bit dated, and your processor isn't that up to snuff. What kind of games do you play?

#8 cv18sro

cv18sro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:58 PM

I am kinda old school gamer. I grew up in the 80's and 90's so I play alot of Starcraft (original), older command and conquers. I think the newest game I have is warcraft 2. I would play some of the newer ones but I know this comp won't handle it.

Most of my issues are not with gaming. Although Command and Conquer generals periodically runs really slow. Most of it is web browsing. For example I prefer to open links into another window so i don"t lose my place on the page I was reading. When I open the other windows sometimes the hard drive just runs and runs until the page loads. Sometimes temporarily locking up the browser until it loads. My feeling is the hard drive or electronic componets on the board are just tired of use.

Due to economic times I was hoping to get another year or so out of this one but it seems to be getting slower and slower each month.

I ran another full thorough scan anti virus and nothing so I am pretty confident that there is no malware or virus issues. I also looked at my registry files and see nothing suspicious.

Like I say I am leaning toward just wore out but did not want to throw in the towel until I got a few more opinions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users