Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excessive Uploads & Now Memory Issues

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

#1 ep2002

ep2002

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:31 PM

Hi,

So I don't know if it's the new memory that was just put in or what b/c I don't trust Best Buy after the hell I went through with them, & they are the ones who put it into my computer.

All of a sudden after my computer working fine for a week & me seeing improvements in speed, I'm having such serious memory issues where it says "not enough quota" when I have my computer on & try to work with my software. I came to my computer about an hour ago & it said Carbonite couldn't write to the file.

In fact it's so bad I can't even read the errors b/c they are greyed or washed out & print screen wouldn't work either. Last night in the middle of working that's when it suddenly started & I couldn't even run my Anti Vir or the new spyware program.

I had to reboot twice since last night just to be able to use my computer which is just not normal for me.

I'm running on XP Professional & I work from home so I have the usual Fx, TB, Word, Excel, Yahoo IM, notepads & that's about it.

So a couple of things:

1. Is there a new virus/spyware out there that is attacking this badly where you can't even work, see your programs, e-mails etc. (all graphics are disappearing), I can't even have Fx & TB open at the same time unless I reboot.

I also just bought Super Anti Spyware b/c I read it can find things even Spy Bot S&D & Spyware blaster can't find. I use Anti Vir for my anti virus program & have even been using online scanners to search. It finds something sometimes, gets rid of it, but the problem never goes away (see problem #2).

I just scanned again & it only found yieldmanager.txt

2. Another problem I've been having for about 2-3 months now is that my uploads are HUGE. I've gone over the max 60 allowed per month & it's not me, something is on my computer I can't get rid of & no, I can't reformat. I have no help to put everything back & last time I reformatted about 3 years ago it took me & my assistant 3 days to get everything back & that's with him telling me what to do step by step.

They even swapped the modem & still nothing has changed, the uploads went down slightly, but not enough for it to be normal.

I have malewarebythes & CCCleaner on my computer, but they aren't finding anything & MLB won't update, I'm getting error 733 (0,0) which I already posted on their forum.

Thank you

Michelle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:24 PM

Hi Michelle
It could be the RAM or malware and yes it can be one that bad so let's take a look.
So that only the Minimum items will be running let'go to safe mode.

Shut off or remove Spybot for now...

Reboot into Safe Mode with Networking
How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode with Networking using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

>>>> Download this file and doubleclick on it to run it. Allow the information to be merged with the registry.

RKill....

Download and Run RKill
  • Please download RKill by Grinler from one of the 4 links below and save it to your desktop.

Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3
    Link 4

• Before we begin, you should disable your anti-malware softwares you have installed so they do not interfere RKill running as some anti-malware softwares detect RKill as malicious. Please refer to this page if you are not sure how.
  • Double-click on Rkill on your desktop to run it. (If you are using Windows Vista, please right-click on it and select Run As Administrator)
  • A black screen will appear and then disappear. Please do not worry, that is normal. This means that the tool has been successfully executed.
  • If nothing happens or if the tool does not run, please let me know in your next reply

Do not reboot your computer after running rkill as the malware programs will start again. Or if rebooting is required run it again.

If you continue having problems running rkill.com, you can download iExplore.exe or eXplorer.exe, which are renamed copies of rkill.com, and try them instead.

Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
Download Link 1
Download Link 2MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Troubleshoot Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Next run Superantisypware (SAS):

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the Scanning Control tab.
  • Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
  • Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
  • Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
If you have a problem downloading, installing or getting SAS to run, try downloading and using the SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner instead. Save the randomly named file (i.e. SAS_1710895.COM) to a usb drive or CD and transfer to the infected computer. Then double-click on it to launch and scan. The file is randomly named to help keep malware from blocking the scanner.

Finally run
Please download the TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool (TDSSKiller.exe) and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!
Be sure to download TDSSKiller.exe (v2.4.0.0) from Kaspersky's website and not TDSSKiller.zip which appears to be an older version 2.3.2.2 of the tool.
  • Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it.
  • To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to How to change the file extension.
  • Click the Start Scan button.
  • Do not use the computer during the scan
  • If the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
  • Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
  • A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

Edited by boopme, 05 November 2010 - 08:28 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:27 AM

Hi Boop,

Ok thank you for this, if you figure this out (who's got a hold of my computer re: the uploads), I'll give you a BIG hug :thumbsup:

So here's what's happened so far.

In Safemode I couldn't get access to the internet for anything other than Run RKill & RKill kept saying it was terminated.

So I had to go into regular windows & try it & again same thing.

I tried the iexplore.exe & same thing...

This log file is located at C:\rkill.log.
Please post this only if requested to by the person helping you.
Otherwise you can close this log when you wish.
Ran as Michelle on 11/06/2010 at 1:15:24.

Services Stopped:

Processes terminated by Rkill or while it was running:

Rkill completed on 11/06/2010 at 1:15:27.

I did try to disable all the spyware software I have on my computer, but the only one that is paid for is SAS, so they wouldn't be automatically noticing Rkill anyway, right?

I couldn't disable anything in SM b/c there were no icons in my tray area to disable.

AntiVir is always a problem. I can't fully disable it & I've complained to them in the past b/c before they used to have an "exit" feature, but then they removed it. They said they can't have that anymore.

I'm thinking down the road I should switch. I've been with them for yrs., but when it comes to disabling it so we can troubleshoot or use an online scanner, it's always a pain & a lot of stress.

So I don't know if Spyware Blaster, CC Cleaner or Anti Vir is causing the problem or what.

I already ran SAS 2 times today (see my original post) & now it's not catching anything in real Windows mode.

MBAM I have to reinstall b/c there was an error when I tried to update so they told me I have to uninstall/reinstall & reboot, so I'm going to do that right now, but wanted to get this off to you so you know what's going on.

Thanks

Michelle

#4 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:37 AM

update:

Can't get MBAM to run. I'm talking to someone over there about the error I'm getting now.

Michelle

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:05 AM

can we run TDDS in Normal?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:52 PM

I ran it before & it found nothing. Same thing now.

Michelle

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:09 PM

Michelle, this may be an infection in the router,if not this may at least break the connection with all the uploads.
Which firewall is running?

Next you must reset the router to its default configuration. This can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router. Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 10 seconds). If you don’t know the router's default password, you can look it up HERE.

However, if there are other infected machines using the same router, they will need to be cleared with the above steps before resetting the router. Otherwise, the malware will simply go back and change the router's DNS settings. You also need to reconfigure any security settings you had in place prior to the reset. Check out this site HERE for video tutorials on how to properly configure your router's encryption and security settings. You may also need to consult with your Internet service provider to find out which DNS servers your network should be using.

Once you have ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware on the infected system, and reset the router to its default configuration you can reconnect to the internet, and router.

Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.46) and save it to your desktop.alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Edited by boopme, 06 November 2010 - 09:09 PM.

#8 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:02 AM

Oh gawd,

Ok, so I no longer have support from my Linksys to reconfigure everything, so I'll have to find all the documents on their site first.

I don't want to have to pay $30 just to get support for one call.

Do you think I should get a new router so I have support, or just continue to use this one & clear it out? It's should still work. It's about 4-5 yrs. old.

As for the firewall, I used to have ZA, but then several years ago I stopped using it b/c it was conflicting with something.

After reading that so long as you have a firewall on your router that should be enough, I just ditched it.

Do you think I should go back to ZA?

I'll forward this to the laptop & follow the steps.

Thanks

Michelle

#9 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:56 AM

From laptop

This log file is located at C:\rkill.log.
Please post this only if requested to by the person helping you.
Otherwise you can close this log when you wish.
Ran as Michelle on 11/07/2010 at 3:55:34.

Services Stopped:

Processes terminated by Rkill or while it was running:

C:\Users\Michelle\AppData\Local\Google\Update\1.2.183.39\GoogleCrashHandler.exe
C:\Users\Michelle\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe

Rkill completed on 11/07/2010 at 3:55:45.

#10 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:18 AM

OMG, I think that worked. I'm running Malwarebytes as we speak, so if that's working now, then we have to assume everything is gone.

Now that I educated myself on wireless stuff I'm shocked (but not really surprised) that the techies at Linksys have no clue what they are doing. I remember having each one do a different thing each time I used to call them. I also remember specifically telling one techi I wanted my router to be 100% secure, yet there were 2 things that weren't addressed that the videos mentioned.

There's even a way to backup/restore the previous settings thank gawd otherwise I would have been clueless on how to get everything back to the way it was.

Which brand or router do you recommend that has good 24/7 tech support?

I also changed the user name & p/ws in both areas.

Question:

1. Was it a person who hacked in now that we know it was the router? If yes, does that mean it was someone in my neighbourhood, or can anyone hack into a router from anywhere?

2. Do you think I should have the software firewall on my computer too?

3. Which anti virus program do you think is the best? I tried AVG once, but I didn't like it. It did something to my e-mail if I remember correctly.

Thanks a ton & I'll keep you posted if it finds something.

Michelle
P.S. Ok, everything looks good, but just to confirm I didn't scan in Safe Mode.

Edited by ep2002, 07 November 2010 - 11:14 AM.

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:20 PM

Hi Michelle.. this is great.. I want to do another scan maybe two scans just to be sure and as you said a Sfae mode scan is needed.
I don't know which linksys you have,but I think they are the best units. I have been using the E2000 wireless for some time now.
But most likely the one you have is good.
support I use this when needed/has chat
http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/linksys/E2000

Question:

1. I'd say no, not directly. The TDDS malware... allows control of your system by allow malware to install other malware. Having found this You should change ALL passwords that were on here.. Especially any banking,financial etc... as it was looking for that info.
It was uploading and downloading info.
2. You defiantly want a software and a hardware (router) firewall .
3. Is there No AV on here now? Remove AVG and install free Avira Antivir( I use this )
Keep MalwareBytes also and updated

Next run ATF and SAS: If you cannot access Safe Mode,run in normal ,but let me know.

Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

From your regular user account..
Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then SUPERAntiSpyware , Free Home Version. Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opera browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.

#12 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:19 AM

Ok, bad news, the same problem is still there.

I copied down the message the computer is giving me about Carbonite when I first turn on my monitor, but I'll wait until the desktop is finished scanning before I type it to you. I'm on my laptop now.

The internet is still not working in SM on the desktop. I tried to update SAS & MBAB, but they gave me errors.

I haven't checked the laptop yet.

:(

Yes of course I have AV on my computer. I was just asking which one you think is the best. I already have Anti vir.

TTYS

Michelle

#13 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:20 AM

So which software firewall do you recommend?

Michelle

#14 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:22 AM

I don't know how to run Win 7 from Administrator.

Do you have a link? I tried running the desktop from Administrator, but I don't know what the p/w is.

Thanks

Michelle

#15 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:52 AM

Ok, here's the error that comes up when I first open my monitor (yes my computer is on 24/7 as I am running my biz)...

Windows was unable to save all the data for the file C:/Documents & Settings/all users/application data/Carbonite/Carbonite backup/Carbonite.log

The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Pleas try & save this file elsewhere.

So SAS found 37 threats, MBAB none. I'm running SAS again.

Here are the threats:

cookies.sqlite
adserver.adtechus.com
apmebf.com
bs.serving-sys.com
casalemedia.com
collective-media.com
revsci.net
serving-sys.com
yieldmanager.txt (I've had this one b4 & it was removed)
in.getclicky.com

What concerns me is that one of my sites were listed, as all these came from the Fx profile.

Does that mean my site is infected?

Michelle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users